Flan vs. Creme Brulee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Could use a little advice...

I have been asked to make dessert for a south of the border style meal and flan was suggested. I've never made flan but it looks a bit like creme brulee which I have made.

Custard style desserts aren't high on my list of faves. Does anyone have suggestions for a great South American-ish dessert to go with this menu

Blue corn tamales stuffed with peppers and cheese
Beans
Green salad
Rice
Skewered and grilled boar bits

Any ideas or alternatively, a great flan recipe?

You could make tres leche cake. A friend of mine from Mexico used to make this all the time. I might still have her recipe...but a search on the Internet should produce lots of hits.

Do you have a basic flan recipe? The Painted Fish cookbook suggests leaving out the vanilla and cinnamon and adding 2T Kahlua to the strained mixture.

I've made this, and it is muy bueno!

Can pm you the recipe.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. the mango cake looks interesting :) I had wondered about making some mango sorbet and having some berrries on the side - keeping it light, but that looks yummy.

Guava filling is always popular. I suggest a Guava cream cheese frosting for a layer cake or a guava cheese cake.

Thanks for the ideas. the mango cake looks interesting :) I had wondered about making some mango sorbet and having some berrries on the side - keeping it light, but that looks yummy.

I just read several reviews on the cake - If you make it, be careful with the sugar amount in the topping. According to the reviewers, the listed amount on the site (1 1/4 cups), is much more than Marcela used on the show. Here's a quote from one reviewer:
"I just watched the show and Marcela only used 1/4 cup plus two tablespoons of sugar for the mango topping."

If you want to "Mexican up" ice cream, consider sopapillas. Fried pastry. Dust the sopas with sugar and cinnamon and dollop on the ice cream and drizzle with honey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom