French butter cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Butter cake recipe from Britanny

6 egg yolks, beaten
2 teaspoons milk
275g plain flour
175g caster sugar
200g butter, diced

Preheat oven to Gas mar 4, 350F, 180C. Butter a 9 inch spring form cake tin or loose bottomed flan tin.

Place about half an egg yolk in a small bowl and mix with the milk. Reserve until required. Put the flour into a large bowl, stir in the sugar then forma well in the centre. Add the butter and remaining egg yolks. Use your finger tips to mix them together then work in the flour to make a smooth but sticky dough.

Sprinkle your hands with flour, removing excess. Place the dough into the cake tin or flan tin. ****Using a fork score criss-cross lines on the top, brush with the reserved milk/egg yolk mixture and then bake for about one hour until firm to the touch. Cool slightly and then remove from tin to a wire rack.

This recipe is often seen in various guises in patisseries in Britanny. Sometimes there is a thin layer of uncooked apple slices which you sandwich in a layer between two layers of the cake mix before baking. I’ve also seen it with cooked prunes or chopped dates.

*** Edited to add: use your hands to push the soft, pliable dough to the edges of the tin.. Then do the criss cross markings!

Last edited:
ARGH! Lost this post twice already!

Ishbel, I am going to try this one and just want to clarify something. The butter is in little pieces right? So when I work the dough with my hands do I want to melt the butter and make a smooth consistency dough? Or do I want it more like pastry and try NOT to melt the butter? And since I am going to add the apple slices idea (good one that!) should I do this in two batches and place the apple slices between layers? Or is the dough easily separated?

Also thinking a maple drizzle on the top to serve might be an interesting touch. Or would that be over the top?

Ah haha, crazy idea from a crazy Canadian!!:LOL: J/K, that doesn't at all sound a bad idea though Alix!! And I was thinking of some whipped cream and berries...:ROFLMAO:

I am not sure we are being blasphemous, but this cake is already melting in my mouth in my imagination... thanks for sharing, this is surely going to be a winner for upcoming chilly days!!

No, you shouldn't melt the butter - it should still be firmly 'chunked'... It makes a really soft dough.

I have made it with the apple slices a couple of times. All I do is roughly 'half' the dough (by eye) and stretch and pull it to the shape of the mould. I then slice (really thin, that's the way it is in the Breton shops) the apples onto the surface. Then add the other half of the dough and pat that out to the edges again.

Oh my gosh! That sounds so amazing, Ishbel!!!

If apples were being used, would you suggest a firm, tart apple or a softer, sweeter one?

Izzy, you always give me food for thought. :) At first glance, thought it was a doughy bread recipe. Guessing all the eggs (and the sugar) might give it a cake consistency? I'm so curious as to how this tastes (turns out) on its' own. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it would be almost like a cakey shortbread. Thanks Ishbel. I'm going to give this a go this weekend. As you know, I have a surfeit of apples at the moment!

I was given this recipe by the mother of a friend of mine (French) - I so liked the 'cake' when we bought it locally to her farm that she insisted on showing me how to make it and giving me 'her' recipe! But, I suspect, that like Scottish shortbread... there are a many Breton recipes as there are families who make it!

Back
Top Bottom