"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-24-2004, 11:52 PM   #11
Head Chef

Oh, runninduo!!!!!!

I know...I know!!! But, by golly, you absolutely must hand it to yourself for sticktuitiveness!!!!

Add the marshmallow cream at the same time as the chocolate chips...after the syrup is done.

And that last saved batch is going to be really, really good over ice cream....Saturday?

Boy, if you don't deserve a special award, I don't know who does!!

Very best wishes to you and yours for a spectacular day tomorrow!

Old 11-25-2004, 08:44 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to runninduo
Thanks, Audeo.

I can't believe quite how obsessed I was over this (even for me). It was just so frustrating b/c I've done it at least 3 times successfully. I came downstairs (at 5:35am) to see what time my grocery store opens today. LOL.I need more evaporated milk. I am DETERMINED to make this work. My 3 yr old decided that 4:56am was a good time to wake up. He knows he has to stay in his room til it's light outside, and if Ralph's (grocery store) is open at 6am, he's going there in his PJs. LOL. My huband has to work from 8am-4pm today (he's in law enforcement), so maybe I'll try another batch while my son is eating breakfast!

ANyway, thanks again for your advice. I'm definitely gonna use a candy thermometer next time i make it.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2004, 10:29 AM   #13
Head Chef

Runninduo, again, I think you deserve a very special award for your determination! Boy, how I hope the next batch is stellar and perfect!!!

May your husband enjoy a quiet, relaxed day on duty today and may you all enjoy the best Thanksgiving ever!!
Old 11-25-2004, 01:30 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I give up! I think it has to do with how I'm stirring hte chocolate in. Today, on the 3rd batch i tried, it looked good till the end and then as i added the last bit of chips it went bad. i definitely need to stir the chip in in batches..........i don't know why it's not working for me when I had success before.

I've officially given up........after 9 batches. I feel like a complete doofus.

oh well. I'm pretty sure the pumpking cheesecase I made to bring for thanksgiving will be good.

Thanks again for all your support. My husband said I should write to Tyler Florence to get on Food 911, but I didn't see anything ont he foodtv site that they were looking for people.

c'est lat vie.

laur
Old 11-25-2004, 02:32 PM   #15
Everymom

Want my easy recipe now Laurie?

Ingredients
3 cups (18 ounces)semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk-chocolate chips)
1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
Dash salt
1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts, optional
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Instructions
In heavy saucepan; over low heat, melt chips with Eagle Brand® and salt. Remove from heat; stir in nuts if desired and vanilla. Spread evenly into waxed paper lined 8- or 9-inch square pan
Chill 2 hours or until firm. Turn fudge onto cutting board, peel off waxed paper and cut into squares. Store covered in refrigerator.

OK, thats what the recipe says. Now what I do is toss the chips and Eagle Brand into the microwave for about a minute, then stir. Throw it back in if I need to. Stir in the vanilla (or maple....YUM) dump it in the pan and toss it in the fridge.

I know it is not really fudge, but oh it is sooooo good.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:06 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I know it is not really fudge, but oh it is sooooo good.
The heck it ISN'T fudge! Is so!!!!!

Thank YOU, Alix, for coming to the rescue! For the life of me, runninduo, I haven't a clue what's going on, but I'd sure try Alix's recipe...when you recover from the financial shock!

Welcome to my nightmare. I have easily wasted conservatively $1,000 over the years in failed this or that in candies. Easily. And then those days come when you happen upon a recipe, a technique, a speed of stirring, a method of squeezing....and you stick to what works like epoxy!

Don't give up the ship! Practice, practice...and enjoy that ice cream! Hmmm...maybe I should look up my old list of "Failure Recycling"....
Old 11-26-2004, 10:09 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Thanks, Ladies.

It's so bizarre how the first few times I made it, it was perfect. The last time (b/f this episode), it took me 3 times. I made it 9 times. It definitely had to do with the amt of mixing and the "speed" that I added the chips, b/c it looked ok to a point, then at the end, went caflouey!

Oh well.......lessons learned.

Thanks again for the support and encouragement.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:02 AM   #18
Everymom

Laurie, when you have some more money, and feel like trying again, try the Eagle brand recipe I posted. It is easy and never fails. I would like to know if it compares to you other recipe. Thanks!!
Old 11-28-2004, 07:31 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Laurie, when you have some more money, and feel like trying again, try the Eagle brand recipe I posted. It is easy and never fails. I would like to know if it compares to you other recipe. Thanks!!
And it is really, REALLY delicious, too!

Tags
None