"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-24-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to runninduo
Fudge Makers........PLEASE HELP!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've made fudge a few times with excellent results. Today, I've made it three times and it's not coming out. It's sort of separating on me when I stir in the chocolate. I'm gonna go broke on this endeavor.

Anyone know what makes it separate? Too much stirring? Too high heat? I wanted to bring some to my hubby's aunt's house tomorrow. I still have the time and ingredients to make another batch. I may have to take out a 2nd mortgage on my house, but I made a trip to the store for more ingredients.

One other time I made it I had problems, but got it to work on the third time. I can tell as soon as it goes bad. Maybe I am stirring too much.

i eagerly await your advice/suggestions.

Thanks!!!!!!!! I've listed the recipe below

1 7 oz jar marshmallow creme
1.5 cups of white sugar
1/4 cup of butter
1/4 tsp of salt
2/3 cup of evaporated milk
1 cup Semi-sweet choc chips
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

1. Heat the marshmallow, sugar, butter, salt and evaporated milk over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 min stirring constantly.
2. Stir in the chocolate. Once chocolate has melted, stir in the vanilla.
3. Pour into a lined 8x8 square pan (which I set up at the outset). And put in fridge for 2 hrs til set.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:54 PM   #2
Everymom

Weird. I am not a fudge maker so I don't have an informed opinion here. I know that 5 minutes would be WAY too long in my kitchen. Do you test it at all? Drip any of the mixture into ice water to see if it is at soft ball stage or anything like that?

Old 11-24-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks Alix.

I'm so damn compulsive when it comes to things like this. I was making it while you responded and the same thing. I must be overheating hte mixture. THough I have no clue why it worked previous times.

Anyway........thanks. I can't believe i messed it up 4x. What a waste.

And, I was already a lousy day! I can literally say "OH FUDGE".

Laur
Old 11-24-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
Everymom

OK...LOL!

I have seen a wonderful fudge recipe on here somewhere....I will search and then post the link for you.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
Everymom

http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=5450

Try that Laurie. There are some AWESOME recipes in there and Audeo gives some excellent advice.

If you want a truly easy fudge recipe let me know. Mine is the cheating condensed milk one so I hesitate to post the recipe. It is truly foolproof though.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Head Chef

Runningduo, the problem in your recipe is in combining the marshmallow cream to the milk and sugar! Marshmallow creme, which is, in essence, a fondant, gets really ticked off when you do that!

Using the very same ingreadients that you list...

Combine the butter, sugar, evaporated milk and salt in a heavy saucepan. Over medium heat, bring to a full boil and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove the milk mixture from the heat and add the marshmallow cream, the chocolate chips, and everything else. Now stir the stuff until the marshmallow and chocolate are melted and the mixture is well blended, then pour into your pan and allow to cool at room temp.

This recipe ought to make some outstanding fudge! I'm so sorry to hear of your frustrations!!!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:19 PM   #7
Everymom

Audeo to the rescue!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:37 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Audeo and Alix-

Thanks for your input. I made a 5th batch, adding the marshmallow at the end.......same thing. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I'm wondering.......maybe I'm not cooking the mixture long enough. When do you start the counting.......when it's really really boiling or when the bubbles first come to the surface? I'm starting when a lot of bubbles are at the surface, but it's not going "full throtle".

Also, when the mixture is coming up to a boil, should i stir the mixture. And, if so, how frequently.

Thanks!!!!

Laur

p.s. I have spent about $10 on chocolate chips (luckily with the holidays, it's been on sale), $3 on marshmallows and/or marshmallow (i actually use marshmallows instead of the creme-i know that's not the culprit b/c I used them when the fudge was successful), about $1.75 on butter, $3 on evaporated milk. It's been an expensive and frustrating day. Maybe I'll try one final batch in the morning.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Audeo to the rescue!
Ha! Boy, did I mess up here!!! With apologies to all, I got caught up in the fact that the marshmallow cream was being cooked and missed the whole shebang....

Runningduo, if you have the courage and pantry left, do the following.

1. Throw out your recipe.

2. Use this recipe instead:

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 12-oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 7-oz. jar of marshmallow creme
1 tablespoon vanilla

Place the milk, butter and sugar in your saucepan and bring to a distinctive boil (it's going to be bubbling all over the surface). From the time the sugar and milk and butter are placed over the heat, start stirring to dissolve the sugar. If your medium heat won't produce a full "rolling" boil, turn up the heat to medium-high. Once you see the boil cover the entire surface, cook for 5 minutes more -- and stir CONSTANTLY to keep this stuff from scorching. (Slow stirs...)

Okay...a sideline: Evaporated milk is precisely that! Is has had a great deal of the water evaporated from it, which is why this type of fudge cooks so quickly. It should reach the soft ball stage in the 5 minutes of boiling. Not knowing what your weather is...either clip on a candy thermometer/digital and stop cooking when it reaches 238 degrees, or get a clear glass of cold tap water and let a drop of the milk mixture fall into the water. If it forms a ball GREAT! Further, when you touch the "ball" of syrup and it is soft, FANTASTIC!

At this point, remove from heat and dump in the chocolate and vanilla. Stir until combined. Pour into pan.

Egads! What a humbling evening!

Runningduo, I'm so sorry that I didn't catch the sugar discrepancy beforehand. I really think you will be just fine now.

PS: Save all those failed batches! They can be remelted into killer fudge topping for ice cream!!! (And you can freeze them...)
Old 11-24-2004, 11:35 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Thanks, Audeo.

After 6 (SIX, set, seis) batches, I am ready to retire my recipe. Yes, yes, I tried it again, letting it boil what i thought was longer and more powerfully and still.

I'll try yours. I need more evaporated milk. I had one can, then bought two more and the 6 batches wiped out the 3 cans. Luckily the chips (ghiardelli) are on sale for $2. I'll go and get more tomorrow.....and more evap milk.

In your recipe, unless I'm overlooking it, when do you add the marshmallow.....with the chips? if it's there, i'm sorry......i've been making fudge on and off for the past 6.5 hrs. LOL.

I live in LA where it's relatively dry, so humidity shouldn't be a factor.

Thanks again, audeo!!!!!!

I'm off to bed and it's only 8:35pm. I wish i had known the other uses for failed fudge......i've thrown out all but one batch of the fudge.

Tags
None