"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Golden syrup

Hi, here is sweetie from austria. I love cooking and baking. My favourite in baking is caramel. I have many recipies from the USA, England and Australia. Because in Austria it is not common to use caramel. But now I have a question and I hope you can help me. What is "golden syrup". We do not have it in Austria. Can you explain it to me. Maybe I can can get it in special shops or make it by my own. It´s really important for me! Thank you very much.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:55 AM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Hi Sweetie,

I did a search, since I didn't know what golden syrup was either. Here is what I found:

WHAT IS GOLDEN SYRUP?

A LIQUID SWEETENER MADE FROM EVAPORATED SUGAR CANE JUICE WITH A CLEAR GOLDEN COLOR, THE CONSISTENCY OF CORN SYRUP, A RICH TOASTY FLAVOR.
MOST POPULAR IN ENGLAND, WHEN THE COMMON BRAND IS "LYLE'S". "KING" IS AN AMERICAN BRAND (TORBITT & CASTLEMAN COMPANY OF BUCKNER, KENTUCKY) PRODUCED & IS MORE READILY AVAILABLE. THESE ARE AVAILABLE AT KING ARTHUR FLOUR BAKER'S CATALOGUE, http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com.

At another site, I read that if you can't find it, you can make this as a substitute (but it said it isn't as good as the real thing):

2 parts light corn syrup and 1 part molasses or equal parts of honey and light corn syrup.

Hope this helps.

:) Barbara

Old 07-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Everymom

In Canada we have golden corn syrup. I think you could just use regular corn syrup for what you need.

Tags
None