Golden syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetie

Assistant Cook
Hi, here is sweetie from austria. I love cooking and baking. My favourite in baking is caramel. I have many recipies from the USA, England and Australia. Because in Austria it is not common to use caramel. But now I have a question and I hope you can help me. What is "golden syrup". We do not have it in Austria. Can you explain it to me. Maybe I can can get it in special shops or make it by my own. It´s really important for me! Thank you very much.

Hi Sweetie,

I did a search, since I didn't know what golden syrup was either. Here is what I found:

WHAT IS GOLDEN SYRUP?

A LIQUID SWEETENER MADE FROM EVAPORATED SUGAR CANE JUICE WITH A CLEAR GOLDEN COLOR, THE CONSISTENCY OF CORN SYRUP, A RICH TOASTY FLAVOR.
MOST POPULAR IN ENGLAND, WHEN THE COMMON BRAND IS "LYLE'S". "KING" IS AN AMERICAN BRAND (TORBITT & CASTLEMAN COMPANY OF BUCKNER, KENTUCKY) PRODUCED & IS MORE READILY AVAILABLE. THESE ARE AVAILABLE AT KING ARTHUR FLOUR BAKER'S CATALOGUE, http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com.

At another site, I read that if you can't find it, you can make this as a substitute (but it said it isn't as good as the real thing):

2 parts light corn syrup and 1 part molasses or equal parts of honey and light corn syrup.

Hope this helps.

:) Barbara

In Canada we have golden corn syrup. I think you could just use regular corn syrup for what you need.

Back
Top Bottom