"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 12-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Angry Graham Cracker Crust Issues

I cannot seem to make a graham cracker crust stay together... I have tried less cracker, I have tried more butter... I can't figure it out!! Help!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Head Chef

Don't know your recipe, but you're welcome to try mine. Sometimes the amount of butter needs to be increased depending on what kind you use. I use margarine instead of butter.

GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST:
1/3 CUP BUTTER
1/4 CUP SUGAR
1 1/3 CUPS GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMBS.
Mix together and press into a pie plate.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Master Chef

Welcome balletchef to DC........stop panicking over the crust......try putting your butter cut into smaller pieces in the freezer for about 20 minutes and then place in a bowl with your graham cracker crumbs.....cut the butter into the crumbs using a fork....be patient and once thorough mixed in (cut in is really the proper term), then transfer to your pie pan and using your fingers press into the pan........you do want to go up the sides as well........it does not need to be perfect but try and press evenly as you can so that the crumbs are uniform in throughout the pan......when it's baking with whatever you fill it with the crust will come together...I promise.......good luck and let us know how it came out....:)
Old 12-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

ok my recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter to be melted and then to press 1 1/2c of graham cracker crumbs into the melted butter... the crust just never stays together well enough to cut my 7-layer bars (butter, graham cracker crumbs, shredded coconut, butterscotch chips, choc. chips, and sweetened condensed milk) into pieces cleanly...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by balletchef View Post
ok my recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter to be melted and then to press 1 1/2c of graham cracker crumbs into the melted butter... the crust just never stays together well enough to cut my 7-layer bars (butter, graham cracker crumbs, shredded coconut, butterscotch chips, choc. chips, and sweetened condensed milk) into pieces cleanly...
Two sticks of butter sounds like a lot of butter for 1 1/2 cups of cracker crumbs. That might be your problem.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

We try to keep as fat free a household as possible without sacrificing gourmet taste.

I make my graham cracker crust with one packet of crackers and about a cup of fig puree, all blended together in a food processor.

Spray the pie plate with Pam, and spread the mixture with wet hands or spatula and pre bake before adding filling. It makes a giant fig newton type crust.

This may not be what anyone wants to hear when given the choice of butter vs. fig puree but you've got to try it if possible.

Shelly
Old 12-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

I was thinking that maybe after you press your crust, then put it in the fridge to chill and set... or does it even make it that far before crumbling?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
Everymom

Balletchef, just melt the butter and pour in the graham crumbs and get your hands in there and mix 'em all up by hand. Then pat it all down and it should work fine. There are some things that get spread on top that will ALWAYS pull it up, just work slow and easy and it should be fine. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I was thinking that maybe after you press your crust, then put it in the fridge to chill and set... or does it even make it that far before crumbling?
If you are referring to the fig/graham crust, it never crumbles and can be lifted from the pie plate in a single piece (if you would want to) after baking it. It is not necessary to refrigerate it at all. Just get it into the oven for 10 minutes or so and it's ready to fill.

Shelly
Old 12-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellys View Post
If you are referring to the fig/graham crust, it never crumbles and can be lifted from the pie plate in a single piece (if you would want to) after baking it. It is not necessary to refrigerate it at all. Just get it into the oven for 10 minutes or so and it's ready to fill.

Shelly
I was referring to the OPs original recipe. I thought chilling it before putting toppings on would prevent it from crumbling.

However... I do find the fig/graham crust an nice alternative. Does the fig give it a buttery flavor?

Tags
None