"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Help.. Natillas

Hi everyone. it has been sometime since i have been on here. But I need some advice or tips from someone who has made Natillas. I have found so many recipes and have no clue which would be the best. My boyfriend grew up eating it or rather he said they drank it which i dont understand since it suppose to be a custard. anyways he has no clue. Many people here in New Mexico that I have asked have had it and loved it but have no clue how to make it. Go figure right.. I personally have never had it, but we are having a potluck in my spanish class and i would like to attempt to make it. any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Nicki

Old 04-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Natillas are different depending on which part of the Hispanic world you are from. You should Google it and read the Wikipedia page. It's interesting. Apparently, in Mexico, natillas are more of a drink rather than a thickened custard.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Yeah Andy I seen that there are many different versions of it.. Oh so confusing. I am not making it like a drink. I guess i need to just go for it.. I am so worried I am going to do something wrong or pick the wrong recipe.. I wish I could find someone who has actually made it.. Even spanish instructor was clueless on how to make it. Her family is from spain..
Old 04-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

This is the recipe I am going to use I believe..

Natillas Recipe - Food.com - 447437
Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishfullthinking View Post
This is the recipe I am going to use I believe..

Natillas Recipe - Food.com - 447437
Hello,
I've had Natilla many times in the past at my favorite Cuban restaurant, and I've also made it myself in the past. I don't like the sound of the recipe you posted, and the photo doesn't look right, either - the custard looks very lumpy, and it should be completely smooth. Unfortunately, I no longer have the recipe I used, but I know that most Natilla recipes use egg yolks only and no whites, plus a little cornstarch to thicken it.

I have 2 recipes in my files from very reliable sources. If you'd like, I can find the links and post them here. I haven't tried these recipes yet, but I trust the sources.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Merstar--please do.. i am getting all the ingredients out now. I did read some that included corn starch and others flour..
Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I do want it to have a wipped top. so i bought heavy cream to put on top of the custard. I also got anise because i seen it suggested but i tasted it and it reminded me of black licuriouse.(sp) sorry cant spell it..
Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
I do want it to have a wipped top. so i bought heavy cream to put on top of the custard. I also got anise because i seen it suggested but i tasted it and it reminded me of black licuriouse.(sp) sorry cant spell it..
I've never seen it with whipped cream on top, nor with anise. Cinnamon sprinkled on top is the norm.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Merstar--please do.. i am getting all the ingredients out now. I did read some that included corn starch and others flour..
Natilla:
RecipeSource: Natilla (Spanish Custard)

Natillas (scroll down for post with recipe from achevres):
Natilla - Pastry & Baking - eGullet Forums
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
I've never seen it with whipped cream on top, nor with anise. Cinnamon sprinkled on top is the norm.

are you gonna post those links? im just waiting. i need to get to making it like now.. if you can help me.

Tags
other