"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 10-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Jason, looks like a great recipe - but one question - if these cookes are your 'secret weapon' - does that mean you've made them before? What have you used in the past?

Using instant espresso in recipes is done by many, many 'top' pastry chefs all over the world. It's easy, convenient, and gives you a real coffee 'pumch'. It's a totally 'valid' way to get intense coffee flavor into a recipe. The directions on your jar are correct; a demitasse cup is less than 1/2 cup, tho; I'm thinking maybe more 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup.

Old 10-20-2004, 08:02 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Yes, I have made them many times, omitting the coffee reduction/mocha paste entirely.

It's not that I don't think the instant can work, it's just that I have no way to know what the correct amount to use is. "Demitasse" literally means half cup, but how am I to know what amount expresso to use in place of 10x regular coffee? In any case, the cookies are awesome without the coffee, so I guess it's no big deal if I never get to taste them with it.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:00 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Okay - I'm lousy at math, but see if this makes sense -

You're using 1/2 cup ad a 'demitasse' measurement; there are 8 tablespoons in 1/2 cup. You need 2 tablespoons of the 'reduction' for your recipe, right? So, make 1/2 cup of the espresso as the jar directions say, put it on the stove and reduce it to 2 tablespoons.

Does that make sense? :?
Old 10-20-2004, 02:33 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Your theory only works if we assume that a mixture of 1x expresso reduced to 1/4 is equivalent in strength to a mixture of 10x regular, reduced by 1/2. Without knowing the relative strength of the expresso compared to the regular, this is a total shot in the dark; it might be too weak, or it might be overkill.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:01 AM   #15
Executive Chef

But you'll never know til you try, right? Sorry, Jason, I'm just not that much of a chemist. When I'm hit with a quandry like this, I do one of two things - brain freeze, or - make the recipe one way - if I don't like it, I make notes and change it the next time I make it.

Tags
None