"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-03-2004, 10:25 AM   #11
Executive Chef

We make our own Vanilla infusion at the club where I work. I forget the brand name of the Vodka, but it's a cheap one. One of my co-workers usually makes the stuff, and always put in way to many vanilla beans. The chef has "hidden" the vanilla pods from her and only he makes the infusion now (it's a food cost thing). Some of our dessert recipes call for vanilla beans, which I'll use if I have access to them, but otherwise, I just use the infusion.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:22 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I use 1 bottle Potato Vodka, (WYBAROVA? Polish) 12 vanilla beans split down the middle and SCRAPED OUT, all put in the bottle. I use a whisky jigger and pour out about 1 jigger when I need some vanilla.

Old 11-04-2004, 03:40 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

wybarova is good stuff. eastern european liquors and beers are vastly underrated.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:00 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Good enough for extract at least. I'll drink just about any vodka thats in my lemonade.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:37 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Wódka Wyborowa is an earthy & full-bodied spirit. It has an assertive finish that is abetted by that most imperial hors d’oeuvre, cold-smoked salmon.

Nevertheless, my favorite vodka remains Grey Goose – distilled in the Cognac region of France. Others I’ve preferred: Finlandia; Denaka; and, of course, Stolichnaya Cristall, known as the Rolls-Royce of vodkas (clean taste and elegant balance).
Old 11-09-2004, 03:21 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Ok, just thought I'd give you an update. I have completed my home-made "essence", and while my taste buds are not sensitive enough to notice any difference in baked goods, I am very pleased with the smell. It is amber colored (unlike the black of store-bought extract) but most importantly, it has a very pleasent vanilla fragrance, not at all like the harsh mediciny smell I get from Club House or Nielsen-Massey extracts. Like I said, I couldn't give you a verdict on the taste (I think my sense of taste is about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the head) but it sure beats the commercial stuff in scent.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:42 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Homemade vanilla extract/infusion

Konditor..Newbie here. I recently received some homemade vanilla from a friend, and was quite impressed. Hence the search on how to make my own. I found your postings most helpful. Thank you.

Question: Do you have an opinion on what vanilla beans would be the best for making a homemade infusion?

"Never eat more than you can lift." Miss Piggy
Old 11-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #18
Head Chef

Hey, I hope you guys who have made home made vanilla extract/esscense are still around. I bought two bottles of infusion kits.

First bottle: Sonoma Syrup Co, comes with one tahitian, 2 madagascar bourbon beans. Store 1-2 months

2nd bottle: Rose & Ivy Brand, 3 vanilla beans (didnt identify what kind of beans, just says premium ). Store 4-6 months.

Both about the size of a coke bottle and both instructions are essentially the same. Though one thing that is interesting is that the Rose & Ivy brand says that I can replenish w/ vodka "as used for up to 7 years"

My questions: has anyone ever heard that you can have the infusion for that long? Wouldn't it get "watered" down in a couple years? Also, I have a bottle of the Absolut Raspberry vodka. Can I use this instead of plain vodka? I'm hoping I can use that and not have to buy another bottle. What do you think?? Thanks!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 01:03 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We've been making our own vanilla for years. As for "watered down," that's not been a problem because it takes nearly 2 years for a batch of vanilla to age. Unless you are removing a huge percentage of the mass, there shouldn't be a problem. Never bought a kit. Just made our own using vodka and vanilla beans.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:08 AM   #20
Head Chef

I never knew you could make your own. I probably paid mostly for the bottle. One bottle was 9.99 and the other 6.99. Do you think the raspberry vodka would be ok? I read others on this thread said you need to put some sort of simple syrup in the extract. Figured the raspberry would do for the sweetness factor. ??

Tags
None