Homemade vanilla extract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, CG, I can't agree with you about artificial vanilla. it doesn't compare with the real extract...
Actually, you are also not agreeing with Serious Eats and the taste-testing they did between four different vanilla products. ;) I'm going to guess that you did not read the entire article that was linked. You really should, since it seems that what determines the delightful flavor imparted by pure vanilla is due not to the real vanilla bean, but by the required minimum volume of alcohol needed market it as pure vanilla. Their palates were fooled into thinking that imitation vanilla was "real" vanilla when a proper amount of vodka was added to the solution. :huh: All these years I thought I like the vanilla...:ermm:

Oh, I meant to add try grain alcohol instead of the vodka. We use grain alcohol to make homemade limoncello and amaretto sometimes. It doesn't add the taste that even expensive vodka does, and it's fairly cheap too. It's also got a higher alcohol percentage.

Grain alcohol always had a funny taste to it. I'm not saying I'm in love with Vodka either. I think it's easier to find a vodka that doesn't have a lot of huge off-lingering tastes.

Grain alcohol always had a funny taste to it. I'm not saying I'm in love with Vodka either. I think it's easier to find a vodka that doesn't have a lot of huge off-lingering tastes.

You must have really gotten some rot-gut stuff then because you are the first person I've heard of that feels that way. It's made to be a mixer with other things, thus the no taste. We use Everclear or another kind that I can't remember name of but label is red and white.

BTW, you aren't supposed to be drinking it straight, it can make you sick very easily due to the high alcohol content.

We tried using vodka when we first started making limoncello and the vodka definitely imparted a flavor and also the limoncello would get slushy as the alcohol content wasn't high enough once the vodka was mixed with the sugar syrup, so we started looking for grain alcohol, which did the trick as far as lack of flavor and alcohol content so it wouldn't freeze, would just get slightly thick and viscous.

I am straining the coffee extract I started last week for my Dad. He can't find it locally anymore. I used French Roast beans--might go with something lighter. It is a bit strong. I am thinking of drying the coffee grains (beans--coarsely ground) to use in rubs...we'll see how long it takes to dry that...

Back
Top Bottom