"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2016, 06:36 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 204
Homemade vanilla extract

I wasn't sure where to post this, but desserts seemed to fit best.

I've made homemade vanilla extract by cutting vanilla beans in half and soaking them in a small amount of vodka for 6 mo. with mixed results.

I'm wondering has anyone done this with rum or bourbon before, and are your results worth using a different kind of liquor for the tincture?

__________________

__________________
inchrisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,038
I've used all three and prefer to use light rum.

I also like to use a little booze in frosting, in place of vanilla extract. Try a little, rum, bourbon or cognac they are all good. Rum is especially nice in the frosting for an applesauce or carrot cake.

I believe the use of a little booze came before the common use of vanilla extract in this country. Those old episodes of the Walton's where Livie and Esther added a touch of "the recipe" to the cake batter were standard procedure in kitchens across America.

Another great combination is the Italian Fiori di Sicilia. It is a faint combination of vanilla extract and citrus flavor that can be achieved by adding lemon or orange zest and vanilla extract to a cake batter or by buying the extract in an Italian specialty shop. In this area it is the secret ingredient to great half-moon cookies, Italian butter cookies and pound cakes.

Good luck!
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:05 AM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I've used all three and prefer to use light rum.

I also like to use a little booze in frosting, in place of vanilla extract. Try a little, rum, bourbon or cognac they are all good. Rum is especially nice in the frosting for an applesauce or carrot cake.

I believe the use of a little booze came before the common use of vanilla extract in this country. Those old episodes of the Walton's where Livie and Esther added a touch of "the recipe" to the cake batter were standard procedure in kitchens across America.

Another great combination is the Italian Fiori di Sicilia. It is a faint combination of vanilla extract and citrus flavor that can be achieved by adding lemon or orange zest and vanilla extract to a cake batter or by buying the extract in an Italian specialty shop. In this area it is the secret ingredient to great half-moon cookies, Italian butter cookies and pound cakes.

Good luck!
I like where this is going.
__________________
inchrisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,448
I recently saw organic vanilla bourbon extract in a grocery store so I would have to say it certainly has a market. Very expensive stuff, about 3x the price of real vanilla extract, whether it was the organic label or the bourbon or the combo though I don't know. Didn't buy it, just needed regular vanilla extract so can't comment on taste.
__________________
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:44 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,448
Oh, I meant to add try grain alcohol instead of the vodka. We use grain alcohol to make homemade limoncello and amaretto sometimes. It doesn't add the taste that even expensive vodka does, and it's fairly cheap too. It's also got a higher alcohol percentage.
__________________
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I recently saw organic vanilla bourbon extract in a grocery store.

Are you sure it wasn't bourbon vanilla?
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, but desserts seemed to fit best.

I've made homemade vanilla extract by cutting vanilla beans in half and soaking them in a small amount of vodka for 6 mo. with mixed results.

I'm wondering has anyone done this with rum or bourbon before, and are your results worth using a different kind of liquor for the tincture?
I did this years ago as every one seemed to be making their own vanilla from scratch on another food website. many things were discussed, several gave advice on where to buy large money saving bags of vanilla beans and I went forth with all comments and instructions. I did and still do have and use my own vanilla. one is steeped in Rum one is steeped in bourbon and the last is steeped in vodka, 3 different bottles with their own labels so I know them apart. I see no difference that is noteworthy to comment on. I did make a new batch a few weeks ago with spiced rum since that was all I had, no plain rum.
One thing I will say that I found helpful was after the beans have been in the liquid, snip off the ends so later you can squeeze the caviar out for a much more flavorful home made vanilla extract.
__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Are you sure it wasn't bourbon vanilla?
Don't know, didn't really pay that much attention to it between the price and the fact that it had the word bourbon in it, since I wanted just plain pure vanilla extract and didn't want to pay a fortune either. The price tag was kind of a shocker considering I wasn't in Whole Foods or Fresh Market, just a regular grocery store.
__________________
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,387
Bourbon vanilla is made from beans grown in Madigascar.


It's plain vanilla extract but some people say it's the best kind.


Vanilla prices shot way up this year.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:23 AM   #10
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,680
I read an interesting article on Serious Eats comparing real vanilla vs imitation vanilla. Their conclusion?

If you use vanilla regularly in baked goods like cookies and cakes, there's no reason to spring for the fancy stuff, or even the real stuff—artificial extract will do just fine. If you drink a lot of nog or make uncooked ice cream bases or cold desserts like panna cotta, you might consider buying real extract. But if all you've got on hand is artificial extract? Don't worry, just add a touch of booze to the mix (a teaspoon of vodka or bourbon for every teaspoon of extract works), and you'll do just fine.

To read the full article, click here: Taste Test: Is Better Vanilla Extract Worth the Price?
__________________

__________________
“Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.” ~~~ Confucius
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
homemade, vanilla

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.