How can I get navy icing?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellydales

Assistant Cook
Dear all,

I know this is probably a really stupid question for experienced bakers, but i am struggling to get navy icing - does anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks in advance
xx

First of all, you should use paste colour, found anywhere you get Wilton supplies, though some grocery stores have started carrying them too. You can actually purchase a dark blue or Navy, though you will still need to use lots and too much colour can taint the taste of the icing. This is for regular buttercream style icings.

If you are trying to colour fondant or gumpaste, it is better to just add a little blue to tint it and then "paint it the colour you want as too much colour will make it too soft and hard to work with. I just buy premixed coloured fondant for the deeper colours.

Hope that helps. I am sure others have ideas as well.

Welcome to DC, btw.

If its similar to mixing of paint colors.

Navy blue.. Blue, a touch of black and possibly a touch of red.
Be very careful with the black. A little does a lot!!

Ok, I was thinking there was a kind of icing called 'Navy Icing'... the color never dawned on me... DOH!!! Shows you what I know about baking and cakes, icing... whatever!

Ok, I was thinking there was a kind of icing called 'Navy Icing'... the color never dawned on me... DOH!!! Shows you what I know about baking and cakes, icing... whatever!

Oh, Sattie, you totally crack me up!:LOL: You are very knowledgeable about lots of other things! Besides, you could have been right....it could have been a special icing used for military cakes....waterproof maybe! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously LPB... I was like "What the heck is navy icing????" It was the only reason I clicked on the thread was to find out!! Then I felt stupid that it was all about the color. I'm sssslllllooowww sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom