"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 09-19-2004, 09:24 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I make many Cheese Cakes...and getting it off the bottom of the Spring Form Pan seems to be hit or miss...but my other prob was when I serve it on the bottom of the pan on a decorative plate it always slides around...just found a remedy to that prob...tape the bottom down to the plate.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Since you didn't know, you are forgiven. LOL It would be about like inverting a lemon meringue pie to take it out of the pan. They are very soft and creamy on top.

Now the real question--Why have you never tried cheesecake? I have a great recipe (the one from Aunt Emma's Pancake House in San Diego, CA--no longer there) if you want to try it. My mom always thought cheesecake sounded disgusting, but my uncle (who managed Aunt Emma's) brought her some of theirs, and gave her the recipe. She found out how wonderful it was! Ours is a little fluffier than the New York style ones, which are also good.

:) Barbara

Actually, Alton Brown inverts a cheesecake onto a plate, and then onto the serving plate in his cheesecake on Good Eats, and it turns out fine:)

Here's the link! And it is an awesome cheesecake!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Just serve it from the pan bottom. You risk damaging the cake and there is no need to remove it.

However, if you insist, I use the burner on my gas stove. Place the cheesecake on the burner and turn the burner on full blast for 10 seconds. Turn it off an use a cake decorating spatula to slide it onto a serving platter.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I use a thin blade knife...dipped in very hot water....run it under the cake, maybe twice and Voila!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have one Wilton pan with a textured bottom, as long as I give it a quick spray of cooking spray, it is very easy to remove, just slide my offset spatula under it and it slides right off. I have 2 others (don't remember the brand) that are flat bottomed and the crust will often stick, so those get lined with parchment, but this requires flipping onto a plate like Alton does, which sometimes roughs up the cheesecake a bit.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i always just leave mine . would seem to invite disaster to take it off. if you use a flat serving plate, it will not slide around. i have a pumpkin cheesecake in fridg. as we speak. would hate to think all my work could be messed up.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I have one Wilton pan with a textured bottom, as long as I give it a quick spray of cooking spray, it is very easy to remove, just slide my offset spatula under it and it slides right off. I have 2 others (don't remember the brand) that are flat bottomed and the crust will often stick, so those get lined with parchment, but this requires flipping onto a plate like Alton does, which sometimes roughs up the cheesecake a bit.
I used parchment paper for mine too. Plus I don't like leaving it on the spring form bottom because I worry it will get scratched if someone used something hard or sharp to cut the cheesecake.

But my point, was just that it can be inverted without damaging. However, I don't have quite the skill as Alton does:)
Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawilliams View Post
I used parchment paper for mine too. Plus I don't like leaving it on the spring form bottom because I worry it will get scratched if someone used something hard or sharp to cut the cheesecake.

But my point, was just that it can be inverted without damaging. However, I don't have quite the skill as Alton does:)
My favorite recipe comes out a bit creamy on top, so it looks a bit rough, Alton makes it look soooo easy!

I will often take my offset spatula and dip it in hot water to smooth out the sides and top where it stuck to the plate. If I am making it for home, I'm not so fussy, but I often have people paying me to make these, so I try to make them as perfect as possible.

I don't leave them on the pan for the same reason, that non-stick finish scratches far too easily, and when I'm selling them, this isn't an option.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Tonight I didn't invert it, but used the cake spatula to remove it, and it came off very easily! However, when I went to put it on the serving dish.... It didn't want to slide off, and cracked a bit. Maybe I should have sprayed the cake spatula.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Since you didn't know, you are forgiven. LOL It would be about like inverting a lemon meringue pie to take it out of the pan. They are very soft and creamy on top.

Now the real question--Why have you never tried cheesecake? I have a great recipe (the one from Aunt Emma's Pancake House in San Diego, CA--no longer there) if you want to try it. My mom always thought cheesecake sounded disgusting, but my uncle (who managed Aunt Emma's) brought her some of theirs, and gave her the recipe. She found out how wonderful it was! Ours is a little fluffier than the New York style ones, which are also good.

:) Barbara
i second for this recipe

Tags
None