How would I make a Donut Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gpalexiades

Assistant Cook
I need to make 2 birthday cakes this weekend. I would like to make 1 donut cake. I was thinking of making it in 2 round cake pans. Maybe with a hole in the middle, but not sure how to put the hole. Or maybe without a hole and filling them with cream, jelly etc. Then stacking them on top of each other with glaze in the middle as glue and maybe some glaze on top. I would like to make it using a raised dount mix. Do you thing this type of donut cake will turn out ok? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

To make the hole in the center, place a round item in the pan before you pour in the batter. You could use a small Pyrex custard cup, which would be oven-safe. Can't offer any other suggestions, but it's a start.

Don't worry there'll be more. At least you have a couple of days to get the project figured out and done.

Um, I'm not sure I'm getting the picture here, gp, but could you make a cake in a tube pan, then slice it in half horizontally?

That's what I do when I want to frost a layer inside.

Lee

Yes, I could do that, but it wouldn't look like 2 whole donuts stacked on top of each other.

What came to mind was using that gizmo, I think it's for coring pineapple, to make the hole in the center of the cake AFTER it is baked. I have never tried it but thought of it as I was reading your question.

Use two angel food cake pans and fill them only 1/4 to 1/3 full. This will give you two doughnut shaped cakes with holes in the middle.

Angel food cake pan:

11DQGK6K5ZL._AA160_.jpg

Use two angel food cake pans and fill them only 1/4 to 1/3 full. This will give you two doughnut shaped cakes with holes in the middle.

I was thinking the same thing, only I'd use a bundt pan to give it more of a doughnut shape.

pan_bundt.jpg

What you might want to do is stop in at the bakery closest to your local police station. I bet they've made a LOT of doughnut shaped birthday cakes. :LOL:

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing, only I'd use a bundt pan to give it more of a doughnut shape.

pan_bundt.jpg

What you might want to do is stop in at the bakery closest to your local police station. I bet they've made a LOT of doughnut shaped birthday cakes. :LOL:

Yes, that would give the cake bottoms the rounded shape. Here's a picture of a sour cream banana cake made in a bundt pan (make 2 and stack for donut cake)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/438160056_e217a09141.jpg&imgrefurl=http://veganyumyum.com/2007/03/sour-cream-banana-bundt-cake/&h=500&w=333&sz=124&hl=en&start=25&tbnid=OMWevljKQQq8uM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=87&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbundt%2Bpan%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Lee

Last edited:
Oh, I see, you want to make a doughnut shaped cake. I thought you actually wanted to make two giant doughnuts and use them as bases for a cake.

It would actually be a pretty cool idea, now that I think of it. The trouble would be finding a deep fryer that was big enough :)

Back
Top Bottom