"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 04-20-2006, 11:39 PM   #11
Hospitality Queen

A nice "fruit" to serve as an accompaniament would be to use large medjool dates (yum), pit them and stuff them w/cream cheese.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:44 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Forgot to mention - a little Godiva & raspberries on the side can't hurt either.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:12 AM   #13
Contest Winner

Thank you all so much! This is just the kind of help i was looking for...

I love these forums..
Old 04-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
Hi guys!

I have been thinking about experimenting with some desserts lately. I'm really not much of a baker...

Anyway, first question is do you think these fillings would work for a dessert wonton? Secondly, how should I cook them? Bake? Deep fry? (I fear that if I deep fried all the filling might come out... would that happen do you think?) Thirdly, should I serve them with some kind of sauce - if so, what?

I was thinking for the berry filled one I could serve it with some yogurt sweetened with honey... does that sound too strange?

Sorry for so many questions... I really am so clueless when it comes to making desserts. I have lots of ideas but dont know how to put it all together!

Thanks for any help you can give me...
Hi again, grumble As a dessert, I use two wonton skins - place filling on one & cover with the other skin - making a larger portion of say two or three per plate. Since it's not an appy, I wouldn't fold 'em over. If it's a deep fry method, you could alternately saute in some oil, drain on paper towels, work in batches & keep warm in a very low oven or you can bake them. You want a little crunch. Some methods call for sealing with an egg wash - I use my pinky & some water to seal. Think of it as big ravioli, and press the edges down with the sides of your hands. Try one or two as a sample first.

Here's an actual recipe:

Banana Chocolate Ravioli with Chocolate Rum Sauce

2 bananas, cut into 1/4" chunks
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
4 tbls pecans, finely chopped
1/4 cup chocolate, chopped
20 wonton wrappers
1 egg, beaten
Canola or vegetable oil for frying
Powdered sugar, for garnish
Chocolate Rum Sauce (recipe follows)

Gently mix bananas, brown sugar, graham cracker crumbs, pecans and chocolate.

Fill wonton wrappers with 1 1/2 tsps of filling. Brush edges with egg and fold in half diagonally, sealing edges completely. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Heat oil to 350-375 F. Fry ravioli until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with Chocolate Rum Sauce.

Chocolate Rum Sauce
12 oz evaporated milk
12 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 tbl butter
2 tbl rum

Heat milk and chocolate in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. When chocolate has melted, remove from heat and stir in butter and rum.

Another idea for dessert raviolis - pipe some mascarpone on top or sprinkle with some macadamias/pistachios.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #15
Contest Winner

Okay, well I spent all afternoon in the kitchen experimenting with some of these ideas. I made about 6 versions and sauces for each... rather time consuming but fun!

Anyway, I've settled on 3 and I will make them the ravioli style that you suggested, Mish as that provides the best oppurtunity for a decent size "bite" of filling in each. The wontons could barely fit much at all.

The 3 dessert raviolis I decided on are a mascapone and peach filling w/ creamy peach sauce, pureed fig and walnuts w/ a fig/marsala syrup, and Mish's chocolate banana filling w/ chocolate sauce. (I didnt make it with rum.. just a standard chocolate sauce)

I'm going to serve it "family" style and let my guests choose which looks appetizing. I was thinking of putting the sauces in these little gravy boat things I have with small spoons for drizzling - would that be completely tacky or okay?

Anyway, thanks for all the help.. I have so many leftovers and defected wontons and raviolis now though... lol. Well, the blueberry compote I made that wont be used for the desserts will go good on waffles for breakfast tomorrow... yum!
Old 04-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Everything sounds very good. I'm sure your family will enjoy them.

I saw something I want to make soon. It consisted of a flour tortilla buttered or sprayed on each side and warmed for a couple of minutes in the oven. An apple mixture with cinnamon, brown sugar, butter and chopped nuts was put in the tortilla as soon as it came from the oven and shaped like a taco. It was served with vanilla bean ice cream. I think it will be wonderful. (the apple mixture was cooked).
Old 04-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Here's a link for 'Cowgirl Canolli' - very neat!

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...1/170220.shtml
Old 04-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I printed the recipe out and will definitely try it. Sounds delicious! Thanks.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Make a chocolate ganash, crush some honeycomb through it, leave to set in fridge overnight, scoop out with a melon baller and toll them like tortellini, finish them the same way Andy M said and serve them with a light caramel anglaise.. Rich, **** yeah but oh so tasty.

Tags
None