"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 04-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Contest Winner

Question I need dessert wonton help and ideas!

Hi guys!

I have been thinking about experimenting with some desserts lately. I'm really not much of a baker, at all (rarely make desserts, in fact... much prefer cooking) so I need some help. I have a few ideas that I think would be good but I dont know how to really execute them properly or if it would even work.

I want to make some kind of dessert using wonton wrappers and various fillings. Some ideas for fillings I've had are saskatoon berry compote, pear and gorgonzola, pureed figs and some kind of nuts (maybe crushed candied almonds?), and perhaps something with chocolate.

Anyway, first question is do you think these fillings would work for a dessert wonton? Secondly, how should I cook them? Bake? Deep fry? (I fear that if I deep fried all the filling might come out... would that happen do you think?) Thirdly, should I serve them with some kind of sauce - if so, what?

I was thinking for the berry filled one I could serve it with some yogurt sweetened with honey... does that sound too strange?

Sorry for so many questions... I really am so clueless when it comes to making desserts. I have lots of ideas but dont know how to put it all together!

Thanks for any help you can give me...

Old 04-20-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Heres one you can change fillings and so forth from there

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re..._friendly/4275

Old 04-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Yes, that is a good idea. I would want mine made with apple or another fruit than banana since I don't care much for cooked bananas - apples, peaches, pears, lots of things.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

Here are a few of my favorite sweet quick fillings to put into wontons and then deep fry:

1. Brie & cranberries (chop crans in a food chopper first)
2. Pecans & dried apricots (chopped) w/apricot jam
3. Cream cheese w/vanilla extract & honey blended w/almonds

and the list goes on... remember, you only need tiny amounts, so look & see what's in the frige. I like to make 3-4 different kinds, and then roll them differently, so guests can see which is which.
You can also make "dipping sauces" for them too.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Wine poached pears and marscapone cheese.

As long as you don't over stuff the won tons and seal them correctly, the filling shouldn't come out.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Contest Winner

Thanks guys...

What about sauces and plating though? I'm making a nice supper on Saturday and think I will make some of these. I'll probably do a cheese/fruit combo, the figs/nuts, and a berry filling. What sauces would go well, should I serve it on the side or on the plate, and how many would be a good amount for each person? (i'm thinking 2-3...?) Or should I just make one type to make it simpler?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:08 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
Thanks guys...

What about sauces and plating though? I'm making a nice supper on Saturday and think I will make some of these. I'll probably do a cheese/fruit combo, the figs/nuts, and a berry filling. What sauces would go well, should I serve it on the side or on the plate, and how many would be a good amount for each person? (i'm thinking 2-3...?) Or should I just make one type to make it simpler?
Are you going to plate them individually or family style? If you're doing three kinds than two of each would be good for 6 pieces per person. Then you could space them out at the sauces wouldn't run together. Here's my suggestions:

For the cheese/fruit - complimentary flavored (maybe chambord?) sabayon

For the figs/nuts - port wine reduction

For the berry filling - vanilla bean creme anglaise
Old 04-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Fill with berry compote, seal tightly (brush water or egg wash on the edges to ensure a tight seal), leave no air bubbles (they cause the dumplings to burst), deey fry and toss in sugar.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:07 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Fill with Nutella, drizzle plate with chocolate syrup, sprinkle with sugar. Decorate the plate with mint - if you're a mint fan. There's a fried banana & chocolate ravioli recipe I posted somewhere. Came across one if I recall, filled with banana & an orange (sage?) sauce. You can bake them or fry them. Seal 'em up good.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:37 PM   #10
Senior Cook

My suggestion is to serve the mixed fruit in a dish with a bit of sugar and a liberal dash of liqueur. Fry the wontons, sprinkle with powdered sugar to serve as a side "cookie".

Tags
None