I'm new to meringues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I finally figured out how to made a scrumptous meringue cookie with orange zest and assume there are other recipes; does anyone have any tips on how to make a really great meringue? Such as - this business about letting it cool (crisp?) in the oven - so how do I make multiple batches of them ?

thanks

No one, huh? OK, maybe I'll be the first.

I make meringues often; love the soft centres and the crispy exterior. After they have finished baking I turn off the heat and leave them in the oven for about an hour; however, I prop the oven door open a wee bit with a wooden spoon.

Cream of tartar is a great stabilizer. You can easily flavour them with zest. Sometimes I add chocolate chunks, other times I add coconut.

Thank you for replying.

So, how do you make several batches at a time, then ?

Meaning, you bake and let cool in the oven ? You don't make more than can fit into the oven at one time ? I just wonder how bakeries do that !

Ohhhhh. OK. thanks

A commercial bakery oven is 6-15 feet wide, with 6-10 shelves. The shelves hold 3-5 full sheet pans at a time...very easy to get all the cookies you want. Meringue cookies were usually the last bake of the day, when I worked in the bakery.

If you are still looking for tips, here is something I do remember. Make sure you use a glass or metal bowl that is completely clean and free of oils or moisture and that your beaters are also spotless and free of oil. My mom always used cream of tartar.

On making multiple batches, from what I've read I don't think the "shelf life" is very long for meringues, so probably not a good idea?

Egg whites at room temperature...that just popped into my head, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom