"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-16-2004, 09:48 AM   #11
Master Chef

Sarah, I always make my pie dough well in advance and freeze it. When I know I'm going to use it, I put it in the fridge 24 hours ahead. I then let it sit out at room temp for about 15 minutes before rolling it out. That should keep it chilled but not too hard to roll. Don't worry it the edges break, you should have enough dough from your recipe to trim the edges and clean it up. You can also dampen your finger with water and run it over the cracks to seal them once you get the pastry in the pan.

Another trick I swear by for light flaky crust is to add 2 tsp red wine vinegar to the ice water before adding it to the dough. I don't know the science behind it but it makes a difference.

Hope you're having better luck now! If you want my recipe let me know--I'm happy to share, I just don't have it with me right now.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:46 PM   #12
Senior Cook

You will no doubt get many opinions about this. I have made all kinds of crusts, but I think that this kind is the most consistent and easy. It is really flaky, but easy to work with. There is no worry about making sure that the butter is cold or chilling the dough, just make a great crust. This is the only kind of crust that my grandma ever made and we all would fight for the crust and leave some of the fillings behind!

Oil Pie Crust
2 c flour
1 ts salt
1/2 c oil
4 tb cold water

1.Mix together the flour and salt. Drizzle the oil over the flour mixture and blend with a fork. Drizzle in water, 1 tb at a time, working with a fork to get a smooth dough. Roll out between sheets of wax paper.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:39 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasgirl
You will no doubt get many opinions about this. I have made all kinds of crusts, but I think that this kind is the most consistent and easy. It is really flaky, but easy to work with. There is no worry about making sure that the butter is cold or chilling the dough, just make a great crust. This is the only kind of crust that my grandma ever made and we all would fight for the crust and leave some of the fillings behind!

Oil Pie Crust
2 c flour
1 ts salt
1/2 c oil
4 tb cold water

1.Mix together the flour and salt. Drizzle the oil over the flour mixture and blend with a fork. Drizzle in water, 1 tb at a time, working with a fork to get a smooth dough. Roll out between sheets of wax paper.
heyyyy this sounds so much easier than the buttery crusts and like u say tastes just as great,hmmm,i guess i'm gonna try this one ,after audeo's recipe,cuz i really wanna see will it be any better if i use the food processor...
Old 11-18-2004, 03:21 PM   #14
Head Chef

Sarah, you can take anything kansasgirl prints to the bank! I've little doubt that if placed in a cookoff with some of our more famous made-for-TV chefs, she'd spank 'em soundly and leave them writhing in embarrassment!

We looking forward to the results of your experimentations! It's so much fun, this adventure of cooking!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:30 PM   #15
Senior Cook

OMG - you are too much! I think that sometimes things are just made entirely too complicated. In my opinion, sometimes the simple ways of doing things are the best!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:01 PM   #16
Head Chef

I stand by my statement, kansasgirl, and you darned well know it! I've been one of your fans for a long time now, well before here...!

I admire your ability to achieve the simplistic...that it truly a forced method for me it seems! By the way, it you ever need a truly complicated method of doing anything, please do call me...

Tags
None