In a bit of a panic over excess of fruit...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I will try different saturated fats, i.e., butter, coconut fat, palm fat etc. I know that pork lard is considered healthier, but that would be oldfashioned pork lard, not the heavily processed, ultrawhite version. Crisco, too, is a high tech product. Does make nice pie crust, though. Some people use butter for pie crust, but I think there's no substitute for Crisco or Lard.

We do have desire to avoid pork that has nothing to do with any formal religion.

Off on a tangent here - isn't it strange that when you try to use polyunsaturated oils for cookies, pastries, etc. the result is dreadful. Yet when you use a saturated fat, your product is nice 'n' light. Pretty weird, huh. But our ancestor figured it all out over hundreds of years and it is hard to argue with tradition.

Mollyanne, I apologize for being so slow in acknowledging the recipe for Easy Panna Cotta. I am STILL up to my ears in berries.

since no one mentioned it ,you noted it might turn into wine, it read as though that would be a bad thing ! wine is a miracle of life , humans only gave up being hunter/gatherers because they couldn't carry the wine with them,that plus the wine made them fall down alot. Wine translates to tanglefoot in every language

since no one mentioned it ,you noted it might turn into wine, it read as though that would be a bad thing ! wine is a miracle of life , humans only gave up being hunter/gatherers because they couldn't carry the wine with them,that plus the wine made them fall down alot. Wine translates to tanglefoot in every language

Well, we don't drink alcohol, but if a lot of it did turn into wine, I would let the alcohol go into vinegar, and I imagine it would be fine stuff. I recall that when I was in my 20s I tried to make wine. I did not realize it was half-way, or more, into vinegar. I didn't know anything about it. Didn't even try it. A guest came over and I gave him some and all he said was that it "packed a punch". :LOL: He didn't want to be rude, I guess. Later I tasted it... it was indeed vinegary. Live and learn.

that's true-I make plum and raspberry vinegar, I prefer the plum.

Plum vinegar - I have never heard of it. But I imagine you can make vinegar out of virtually any fruit, I don't see why not.

Sounds like you are one berry away from triple berry jam. My mom made us up half a batch when she was here and that stuff was gone in no time! I think she even used the frozen berries. So you could get some frozen blackberries if you want and do it.

I have never made a double-berry, never mind a triple-berry, jam but you have piqued my interest. Time to do something different for a change! I don't have access to any blackberries and wondered if you have any other suggestions. How about mixing in some saskatoons (june berries I think you call them in the US) with strawbs and rasps? Someone is bringing me some just-picked wild ones today!

Really, when I think about all that sugar that goes into jam, would it even matter if the 3 berries don't appear well-matched? Looking for your opinion.

I have never made a double-berry, never mind a triple-berry, jam but you have piqued my interest. Time to do something different for a change! I don't have access to any blackberries and wondered if you have any other suggestions. How about mixing in some saskatoons (june berries I think you call them in the US) with strawbs and rasps? Someone is bringing me some just-picked wild ones today!

Really, when I think about all that sugar that goes into jam, would it even matter if the 3 berries don't appear well-matched? Looking for your opinion.

I've never made jam myself, but I would assume that it would be fine. I would try it myself. Can you get any frozen berries? When my mom made the batch it was with 100% frozen berries, and the jam was amazing! I think she used strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. I need to make some more. She left the jars and lids with me, as well as the leftover pectin. I need to get on that.

edit: I just looked up saskatoons and one site said they are similiar to cranberries, and they are often used in jams. That might be an interesting combination with strawberries and raspberries.

Hi. Saskatoons are not like cranberries. They look like blueberries, only more purplish, and have a sweet, v. nice taste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom