"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 01-16-2009, 01:17 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I prefer King Arthur flours - unbleached, whole wheat and bread varieties. After trying this you'll never go back to the store or familiar brands. Heard their presentation, King Arthur has a very tight control on the protein/gluten content they use.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Head Chef

I use White Lily for pretty much everything. If I don't have White Lily Self-Rising Flour, I won't make biscuits.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
I am really a King Arthur girl, but it is getting mighty difficult to justify $5/bag ... I haven't seen the Sapphire brand mentioned above, but do use unbleached Gold Medal for non-baking use. Bob's Red Mill and another "H" brand (can't remember) are widely available, as is Pillsbury and the store brands. I always wonder who produces the store brands.

Thanks Merstar for the link to fine cooking article!
The H brand is Hodgins Mill perhaps ?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I would love to try a bag if I could source any online. No stores near me carry it. Must be an Ohio only product.
Montana Sapphire is not just local to Ohio. I just saw it in my local Giant Eagle store yesterday for $3.89 for a 5# bag. If you have a GE you could try them. If you have an Amish Community nearby you could check with them. My local Amish bulk food store carries it, and the proprietor said that is what they use to make their bread. He showed me the catalog he buys from (he can also get Bob's Red Mill from the same source), and there are at least a dozen mills from which they buy flour and other grains. An Amish bakery could also tell you where they get their flour from, and might be able to source it for you as well.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Senior Cook

The "H" brand might be Heckers. It is pretty good for baking. Never used it for making bread, but it did just fine for pastries.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by toni1948 View Post
The "H" brand might be Heckers. It is pretty good for baking. Never used it for making bread, but it did just fine for pastries.

You might be correct, toni. If I recall, Martha Stewart commented that Heckers was a good brand. She's also endorsed King Arthur.

I've never had the opportunity or source for Heckers, but I love, love, love King Arthur products. But, as AMSeccia said, it's getting a bit expensive at about $1 per pound.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I've never had the opportunity or source for Heckers, but I love, love, love King Arthur products. But, as AMSeccia said, it's getting a bit expensive at about $1 per pound.
Here in NE Ohio, KA bread flour is $4.89 and up for 5#. IMHO, that's outrageous for bread flour. I just don't see where the added value is, especially after using other brands of bread flour around $2.50 with good results. Can someone give me good reasons to pay that much? I use 20-25# of flour each month.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Montana Sapphire is not just local to Ohio. I just saw it in my local Giant Eagle store yesterday for $3.89 for a 5# bag. If you have a GE you could try them. If you have an Amish Community nearby you could check with them. My local Amish bulk food store carries it, and the proprietor said that is what they use to make their bread. He showed me the catalog he buys from (he can also get Bob's Red Mill from the same source), and there are at least a dozen mills from which they buy flour and other grains. An Amish bakery could also tell you where they get their flour from, and might be able to source it for you as well.
thanks Joe. Unfortunately , there isnt a GE here or near here. Also Amish Community is 3 hrs away. oh well.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Wondra yes, I love that stuff for gravies and sauces. I don't think I have any self rising flour, I cheat with the mixes LOL. Bad I know...
Did you know you can make your own "Wondra" by whirling a-p flour in your food processor? Saves money and storage space. The same way you can make superfine sugar out of regular cane sugar.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have never understood what all the fuss about "bread flour" is. I've been making bread for eons with regular all-purpose flour. I've never had any problems with it. Lately I've been using 365 Organic flour from Whole Foods. It's quite a bit less expensive than KA.

For whole wheat, I buy from a farmer at the Greenmarket, and for rye flour, now it's Bob's Red Mill. For biscuits and dessert baking, it's White Lily all the way, until I run out of the Knoxville-milled stuff. Don't know what I will do then, but I have decided to cross that bridge when I get there.

Tags
None