Is there a difference in the brand of flour you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Assistant Cook
Do you have a preference on the brand of flour you use? Gold Medal, King Arthur, generic store brand, etc...I was just curious if there is much of a difference in the different brands of flour. Thanks for your responses; you guys are always very helpful.

Yes, I think there is a difference. I have generic stuff I use for breading or coating stuff, or in recipes where it is not the main ingredient. Then I have whole wheat and white flour for my breads that are from Whole Foods 365 brand and are organic.
Otherwise I like Gold Metal, I don't think I have seen King Arthur around here for awhile.

Yes, I think there is a difference. I have generic stuff I use for breading or coating stuff, or in recipes where it is not the main ingredient. Then I have whole wheat and white flour for my breads that are from Whole Foods 365 brand and are organic.
Otherwise I like Gold Medal, I don't think I have seen King Arthur around here for awhile.

For everyday cooking, flour is flour.

In discussing different types of flour, have you ever tried using Wondra flour for gravies and sauces? I highly recommend it, especially for the beginner.

No one has mentioned self-rising flour, either. It's great for making biscuits and pancakes. It's also cheaper than Bisquick, but you have to cut in the shortening

Wondra yes, I love that stuff for gravies and sauces. I don't think I have any self rising flour, I cheat with the mixes LOL. Bad I know...

I use the cheapest all-purpose flour for "bench" flour which is for dusting my work surfaces, sauces, gravies, etc. I always have a container of Wondra but don't use it very often. As Connie mentioned, it's great for beginners. Essentially no lumps when making gravy or sauce.

Have cake flour for cakes and delicate baked goods. Otherwise I keep King Arthur flour on hand. It's more expensive than Gold Medal or house brands, but I find I have a much better product when I use King Arthur. I also have a small quantity of self-rising flour, but don't use it very often so it lives in the freezer.

I also use the cheapest All Purpose flour for bench flour, cooking and for No-Knead bread recipes. Always buy it unbleached. For bread flour I was buying Bob's Redmill organic, but my local store has not had it in stock for a month or more. Also use their white whole wheat flour. I just bought 25# of Montana Sapphire unbleached to try out for bread. Got it at the Amish Co-op store for about $.49/lb.based on the recommendations of a couple of fellow bread makers. We'll see how it takes to my yeast. I have a box of cake flour but have never opened the vacuum sealed pouch. Not even sure why I bought it.

I love Montana Sapphire unbleached flour. In fact, when Nick Malgieri comes to town to teach at The Western Reserve School of Cooking, he always buys a lot and ships it home. He noticed that his baked goods turned out higher and he was quite impressed with it. It was something that my mom and grandma had taught me so I was happy that Nick Malgieri agreed.

I love Montana Sapphire unbleached flour. In fact, when Nick Malgieri comes to town to teach at The Western Reserve School of Cooking, he always buys a lot and ships it home. He noticed that his baked goods turned out higher and he was quite impressed with it. It was something that my mom and grandma had taught me so I was happy that Nick Malgieri agreed.

I would love to try a bag if I could source any online. No stores near me carry it. Must be an Ohio only product.

Do you have a preference on the brand of flour you use? Gold Medal, King Arthur, generic store brand, etc...I was just curious if there is much of a difference in the different brands of flour. Thanks for your responses; you guys are always very helpful.

I am really a King Arthur girl, but it is getting mighty difficult to justify $5/bag ... I haven't seen the Sapphire brand mentioned above, but do use unbleached Gold Medal for non-baking use. Bob's Red Mill and another "H" brand (can't remember) are widely available, as is Pillsbury and the store brands. I always wonder who produces the store brands.

Thanks Merstar for the link to fine cooking article!

I prefer King Arthur flours - unbleached, whole wheat and bread varieties. After trying this you'll never go back to the store or familiar brands. Heard their presentation, King Arthur has a very tight control on the protein/gluten content they use.

I use White Lily for pretty much everything. If I don't have White Lily Self-Rising Flour, I won't make biscuits.

I am really a King Arthur girl, but it is getting mighty difficult to justify $5/bag ... I haven't seen the Sapphire brand mentioned above, but do use unbleached Gold Medal for non-baking use. Bob's Red Mill and another "H" brand (can't remember) are widely available, as is Pillsbury and the store brands. I always wonder who produces the store brands.

Thanks Merstar for the link to fine cooking article!
The H brand is Hodgins Mill perhaps ?

I would love to try a bag if I could source any online. No stores near me carry it. Must be an Ohio only product.

Montana Sapphire is not just local to Ohio. I just saw it in my local Giant Eagle store yesterday for $3.89 for a 5# bag. If you have a GE you could try them. If you have an Amish Community nearby you could check with them. My local Amish bulk food store carries it, and the proprietor said that is what they use to make their bread. He showed me the catalog he buys from (he can also get Bob's Red Mill from the same source), and there are at least a dozen mills from which they buy flour and other grains. An Amish bakery could also tell you where they get their flour from, and might be able to source it for you as well.

The "H" brand might be Heckers. It is pretty good for baking. Never used it for making bread, but it did just fine for pastries.

The "H" brand might be Heckers. It is pretty good for baking. Never used it for making bread, but it did just fine for pastries.

You might be correct, toni. If I recall, Martha Stewart commented that Heckers was a good brand. She's also endorsed King Arthur.

I've never had the opportunity or source for Heckers, but I love, love, love King Arthur products. But, as AMSeccia said, it's getting a bit expensive at about $1 per pound.

I've never had the opportunity or source for Heckers, but I love, love, love King Arthur products. But, as AMSeccia said, it's getting a bit expensive at about $1 per pound.

Here in NE Ohio, KA bread flour is $4.89 and up for 5#. IMHO, that's outrageous for bread flour. I just don't see where the added value is, especially after using other brands of bread flour around $2.50 with good results. Can someone give me good reasons to pay that much? I use 20-25# of flour each month.

Montana Sapphire is not just local to Ohio. I just saw it in my local Giant Eagle store yesterday for $3.89 for a 5# bag. If you have a GE you could try them. If you have an Amish Community nearby you could check with them. My local Amish bulk food store carries it, and the proprietor said that is what they use to make their bread. He showed me the catalog he buys from (he can also get Bob's Red Mill from the same source), and there are at least a dozen mills from which they buy flour and other grains. An Amish bakery could also tell you where they get their flour from, and might be able to source it for you as well.
thanks Joe. Unfortunately , there isnt a GE here or near here. Also Amish Community is 3 hrs away. oh well.

Wondra yes, I love that stuff for gravies and sauces. I don't think I have any self rising flour, I cheat with the mixes LOL. Bad I know...

Did you know you can make your own "Wondra" by whirling a-p flour in your food processor? Saves money and storage space. The same way you can make superfine sugar out of regular cane sugar. :chef:

I have never understood what all the fuss about "bread flour" is. I've been making bread for eons with regular all-purpose flour. I've never had any problems with it. Lately I've been using 365 Organic flour from Whole Foods. It's quite a bit less expensive than KA.

For whole wheat, I buy from a farmer at the Greenmarket, and for rye flour, now it's Bob's Red Mill. For biscuits and dessert baking, it's White Lily all the way, until I run out of the Knoxville-milled stuff. Don't know what I will do then, but I have decided to cross that bridge when I get there.

Back
Top Bottom