"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is there a difference in the brand of flour you use?

Do you have a preference on the brand of flour you use? Gold Medal, King Arthur, generic store brand, etc...I was just curious if there is much of a difference in the different brands of flour. Thanks for your responses; you guys are always very helpful.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Master Chef

Yes, I think there is a difference. I have generic stuff I use for breading or coating stuff, or in recipes where it is not the main ingredient. Then I have whole wheat and white flour for my breads that are from Whole Foods 365 brand and are organic.
Otherwise I like Gold Metal, I don't think I have seen King Arthur around here for awhile.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Yes, I think there is a difference. I have generic stuff I use for breading or coating stuff, or in recipes where it is not the main ingredient. Then I have whole wheat and white flour for my breads that are from Whole Foods 365 brand and are organic.
Otherwise I like Gold Medal, I don't think I have seen King Arthur around here for awhile.
For everyday cooking, flour is flour.

In discussing different types of flour, have you ever tried using Wondra flour for gravies and sauces? I highly recommend it, especially for the beginner.

No one has mentioned self-rising flour, either. It's great for making biscuits and pancakes. It's also cheaper than Bisquick, but you have to cut in the shortening
Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Master Chef

Wondra yes, I love that stuff for gravies and sauces. I don't think I have any self rising flour, I cheat with the mixes LOL. Bad I know...
Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I use the cheapest all-purpose flour for "bench" flour which is for dusting my work surfaces, sauces, gravies, etc. I always have a container of Wondra but don't use it very often. As Connie mentioned, it's great for beginners. Essentially no lumps when making gravy or sauce.

Have cake flour for cakes and delicate baked goods. Otherwise I keep King Arthur flour on hand. It's more expensive than Gold Medal or house brands, but I find I have a much better product when I use King Arthur. I also have a small quantity of self-rising flour, but don't use it very often so it lives in the freezer.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
Head Chef

I also use the cheapest All Purpose flour for bench flour, cooking and for No-Knead bread recipes. Always buy it unbleached. For bread flour I was buying Bob's Redmill organic, but my local store has not had it in stock for a month or more. Also use their white whole wheat flour. I just bought 25# of Montana Sapphire unbleached to try out for bread. Got it at the Amish Co-op store for about $.49/lb.based on the recommendations of a couple of fellow bread makers. We'll see how it takes to my yeast. I have a box of cake flour but have never opened the vacuum sealed pouch. Not even sure why I bought it.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Head Chef

I love Montana Sapphire unbleached flour. In fact, when Nick Malgieri comes to town to teach at The Western Reserve School of Cooking, he always buys a lot and ships it home. He noticed that his baked goods turned out higher and he was quite impressed with it. It was something that my mom and grandma had taught me so I was happy that Nick Malgieri agreed.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
I love Montana Sapphire unbleached flour. In fact, when Nick Malgieri comes to town to teach at The Western Reserve School of Cooking, he always buys a lot and ships it home. He noticed that his baked goods turned out higher and he was quite impressed with it. It was something that my mom and grandma had taught me so I was happy that Nick Malgieri agreed.
I would love to try a bag if I could source any online. No stores near me carry it. Must be an Ohio only product.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Head Chef

I always bake with Gold Medal Unbleached All Purpose Flour with consistently good results.
Here's an excellent article:
Choosing Flour For Baking
http://www.finecooking.com/articles/...or-baking.aspx
Old 01-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser View Post
Do you have a preference on the brand of flour you use? Gold Medal, King Arthur, generic store brand, etc...I was just curious if there is much of a difference in the different brands of flour. Thanks for your responses; you guys are always very helpful.
I am really a King Arthur girl, but it is getting mighty difficult to justify $5/bag ... I haven't seen the Sapphire brand mentioned above, but do use unbleached Gold Medal for non-baking use. Bob's Red Mill and another "H" brand (can't remember) are widely available, as is Pillsbury and the store brands. I always wonder who produces the store brands.

Thanks Merstar for the link to fine cooking article!

Tags
None