"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
The strawberry cake I made for my mother's birthday is a great one and looks quite festive. If you want the recipe, let me know and I will post it. It's a quite easy recipe and can be made a few days ahead.
Post away I have until Friday to choose.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:48 PM   #12
Cook

I like all ice cream deserts:
Baked Alaska with spumoni ice cream (great xmas colors)
Cherries Jubillee
Ice cream pie (I use graham crackers, strawberry ice cream, whip cream topping
Bananas foster

Old 12-13-2005, 05:25 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I like to make poached pears and serve them with a bit of ice cream and a chocolate sauce. Sometimes I put each pear on a circle of pound cake and then drizzle the sauce over the top.

BC
Old 12-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Strawberry Supreme Cake - 1 box strawberry cake mix - made as directed in 2 8 or 9 in layers. After cooling split layers to make 4. 2 10 oz pkgs strawberries in juice or syrup - thaw and drain strawberries. Set drained liquid from strawberries aside. Fold drained strawberries, 1 16 oz package of sour cream, 1 16 oz package of cool whip together. After cake layers have cooled, put 1 layer on cake plate - sprinkle with reserved strawberry juice. Frost with strawberry sour cream mixture - add 2 layer, repeating as first - same with 3 and 4th layer. Frost completely with remaining frosting. Refrigerate overnight at least. Can be made a couple of days ahead. Makes a large dessert. This is very moist and delicious.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #15
Senior Cook

This thread got me to thinking too...
I found these 2 Cranberry Recipes.....they look really easy and deelish...I am leaning toward the Bread Pudding

Cranberry Bread Pudding

INGREDIENTS:

6 cups toasted whole wheat bread cubes, packed
2 cups Ocean Spray® Cran•Raspberry® Raspberry Cranberry Juice Drink
1 cup honey
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup raisins
1 6-ounce package Ocean Spray® Craisins® Sweetened Dried Cranberries
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional, for topping
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish or pudding pan. Pour bread cubes in prepared pan; set aside.

Combine all remaining ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and pour cranberry mixture over bread cubes. Let sit 15 minutes.

Bake pudding for 45 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Makes 10 servings.

Rustic Apple Cranberry Tart

INGREDIENTS:

1 crust from 15-ounce package of refrigerated pie crusts
1 21-ounce can apple pie filling
1 cup Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, chopped
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sugar
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Unwrap pie crust; press seams together firmly. Place in a 9-inch pie plate.

Combine all ingredients, except sugar, in medium mixing bowl; mix well. Spoon fruit mixture into pastry-lined plate. Fold edges of pastry over fruit, pleating so crust lies flat. Sprinkle sugar over crust.

Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until fruit is bubbly and crust is golden brown.

Makes 8 servings.
#1 Rule for Dieting.....If it "Tastes Good"...Spit-it-OUT!!
TexasTamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:55 PM   #16
Master Chef

Just a thought, and a nod toward elegance. Think of flowers (not the Bob Flowers, a.k.a. Goodweed), but the edible kind (I said not Goodweed!), like lavender or roses. Do you think rosewater or lavender flavor could be added either to a white cake, or to a butter-cream frosting to add a delicate flavor? Or would the strong natural flavors of sugar and vanilla overpower the more delicate flower flavors? It might be worth experimenting with.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North (and yes, I know I'm a ham, but would be too tough and stringy for the table. Heh, heh, heh)

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:23 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
What says Christmas dessert more than FRUITCAKE??

And just think, Any that's left over, you just serve next year!

John
This reminded me of a great way to use leftover fruit cake, turn it into a creamy, custardy "bread" pudding with tons of cinnamon. This also works really well for a lot of the traditional Italian and German Christmas breads

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
Strawberry Supreme Cake - 1 box strawberry cake mix - made as directed in 2 8 or 9 in layers. After cooling split layers to make 4. 2 10 oz pkgs strawberries in juice or syrup - thaw and drain strawberries. Set drained liquid from strawberries aside. Fold drained strawberries, 1 16 oz package of sour cream, 1 16 oz package of cool whip together. After cake layers have cooled, put 1 layer on cake plate - sprinkle with reserved strawberry juice. Frost with strawberry sour cream mixture - add 2 layer, repeating as first - same with 3 and 4th layer. Frost completely with remaining frosting. Refrigerate overnight at least. Can be made a couple of days ahead. Makes a large dessert. This is very moist and delicious.
This looks luscious, licia! I adore strawberries and your recipe makes it possible to make in the winter (with frozen?, yes?). Come summer, I would like to try using fresh strawberries, and maybe make a pink strawberry shortcake. Bet this would be yummy using blue berries and a white frosting. Thank you!!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 11:55 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I like the idea of an eggnog cake. I have not tried it yet, but I may have a recipe with a rum or bourbon sauce glaze made in a bundt pan. If you are interested, give me a wave and I'll look thru my recipes.

Another thought (more of a little dessert bite or party bite) are chocolate cups filled with egg nog. Think I have a recipe if you are interested. I've heard you can buy ready made chocolate cups/shells in the baking section (or perhaps at a big outlet store), and fill them with raspberry jam, or just about any yummy filling you like -- peanut butter? and surround a scoop of ice cream with the little chocolate filled cups.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:18 PM   #20
Executive Chef

How about red and green jello shots That would be very festive

Tags
None