"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 12-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
Master Chef

ISO dessert

What is a good Christmassy dessert? No banana pudding. Not too many like the Paula Dean recipe and I told them that I wouldn't make pudding again

Old 12-13-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
They didn't like the Paula Deen recipe!!!
That's so... so... so... sad! I think it's WONDERFUL!

Lets see....there's all the same old pies.. apple, pumpkin, pecan, cheese cake with different toppings,

How about a peppermint ice cream cake?
Or a red velvet cake?

or just a large plate with lots of different cookies?

Old 12-13-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I think an Italian Cream Cake is wonderful for Christmas. I'm thinking about making one, myself.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

What is a peppermint ice cream cake?

Quote:
They didn't like the Paula Deen recipe!!!
That's so... so... so... sad!
I felt the same way. The guys were whining that they wanted the mushy nilla wafers, so, I found some and threw them at them.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
opps... sorry Texas. I meant ICE CREAM PIE. ( though I'm sure there must be a way to add a layer for cake to it)...

I just take a ready made chocolate or grahm pie crust...
frost on a layer of chocolate sauce ( I like the Magic Shell, it gets hard when it gets cold) on the bottom and the sides of the crust.
Take some peppermint ice cream and let it sit at room temp until soft but not runny and add enough to fill the crust.

Then top with more chocolate sauce and or broken up candy canes.

Refreeze until solid.

Any kind of ice cream and sauce will work.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
Head Chef

Texasgirl, I'm not sure what you are wanting, but here are a few Christmas type recipes I have in my recipe book.

Christmas Angel Food Cake

1 large angel food cake
1/2 gallon strawberry ice cream, softened (The pink peppermint ice cream would be good too)
1 large cool whip
green food coloring

Bake an angel food cake or buy one already made in the store. Place cake upside down; slice off entire top of cake about 1 inch down and set aside. Make cuts down into cake 1 inch from outer ege and 1 inch from edge of hold, leaving substantial "walls" on each side. With a curved knofe or spoon, remove cake within cuts, being careful to leave a base of cake 1 inch thick. (You have just made well, hollowing out inside of cake leaving a 1 inch wall.)

Fill well with softened ice cream. Replace top of cake and press gently. Turn cake right side up and place on serving platter.

Tint cool whip with enough green food coloring to get shade of green you want. Hint: Do not use too much food coloring if you don't want green teeth.

Ice cake with cool whip and place in freezer. To serve le44t cake stand about 5 minutes before slicing to make slicing easier.

Can be made as much as 2 weeks ahead of time.

Frosted Eggnog Cake

1 Angel food cake
1/2 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 egg yolk
2 t. vanilla
1/4 t. nutmeg
2 T. sherry and 2 T. whiskey or 4 T. scotsh
5 T. coffee creamer
1 1/2 cups whipped cream

Cut cake into 4 layers with serrated knife. Cream butter sith sifted sugar till fluffy. Blend in 1 egg yolk at a time. Stir in vanilla, nutmeg, liquor and coffee cream. Spread on cake layers and reassemble cake. Whip heavy cream and ice cake. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Refrigerate at least 6 hours.

Spiced nut cake

3 cups flour, sifted
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 stick butter
2 eggs (may use 3)
1 cup milk
1 cups pecans, chopped
4 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 t. cloves

syrup:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 t. lemon juice

Beat butter with sugar and eggs for 5 minutes. Then mix in spices, milk flour, baking powder and pecans. Then beat. Grease and flour pan. Pre-heat oven at 350 and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Make syrup: Combine all syrup ingredients and boil till it becomes a light syrup. Cake and syrup should both be cool before pouring on cake.

Sour Cream Spice Layer Cake

1 1/4 cups brown sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. allspice
3 eggs
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
3/4 cup sour cream
Sour cream frosting
4 cups sour cream
1 t. vanilla
Chocolate Glaze
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 t. butter

Cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, soda salt and spices. Add alternately with sour cream to creamed mixture beginning and wnding with dry ingredients. Stir in nuts.

Spoon into 2 greased and floured 8 inch cake pans. Bake in 350 oven for 30-35 minutes. Cool on racks. Frost with sour cream frosting. Top with chocolate glaze.

Derby Pie

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 stick butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 t. vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 pie shell

Mix all ingredients together and pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes to 1 hour until done.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
Master Chef

WOW, now I have to choose one............. or two They all sound good!!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I really like Pdswife's suggestion, I've done elaborate ice cream dishes for the holidays too before, and seem to go so well after a heavy meal (or days of plentiful eating!). Homemade vanilla ice cream with caramelized Christmas orange segments is alway a simple and effective treat too

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
Head Chef

What says Christmas dessert more than FRUITCAKE??

And just think, Any that's left over, you just serve next year!

John
Old 12-13-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
Executive Chef

The strawberry cake I made for my mother's birthday is a great one and looks quite festive. If you want the recipe, let me know and I will post it. It's a quite easy recipe and can be made a few days ahead.

Tags
None