ISO help/advice making choux balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
I want to make some choux balls filled with creme patissiere for a party. Can I freeze them already filled ahead of time please and if so, how far ahead can I do it? I would then defrost them on the day and finish them with a coffee water icing. As i am making a lot of other things it would be good to prepare these and get them out of the way as it were.
Thanks ;)

I've never tried to freeze these but I would say it won't work. I think you'd end up with soggy, watery mess when you defrost.

I think you could freeze them filled with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and serve them with a hot chocolate fudge sauce. I would take them from the freezer 15 or 20 minutes prior to serving them.

I would not freeze them with a pastry or whipped cream filling.

Last edited:
I think you could freeze them filled with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and serve them with a hot chocolate fudge sauce. I would take them from the freezer 15 or 20 minutes prior to serving them.

I would not freeze them with a pastry or whipped cream filling.

+1

I think you could freeze them unfilled or with ice cream but not filled with pastry cream

Thanks Guys,
You've confirmed my doubts! I am going to go with something else I think just to be sure. I'll do a test next time I am making choux when it doesn't matter so much and I'll note my findings.

I want to make some choux balls filled with creme patissiere for a party. Can I freeze them already filled ahead of time please and if so, how far ahead can I do it? I would then defrost them on the day and finish them with a coffee water icing. As i am making a lot of other things it would be good to prepare these and get them out of the way as it were.
Thanks ;)
You can buy frozen cream filled profiterolles so in theory it should work but I find them disappointingly soft. You could freeze them unfilled and crisp them in the oven when they are defrosted and then fill them when they are cooled.

Thank you MC but I'm not going to risk it though. It's a wedding party and so
there will be lots of other little cakes etc. as choices for afters that I'll be making. I just hadn't ever tried doing them like that before.

The title of this thread threw me at first. I was wondering why anybody would want to make cabbage balls.

Sorry Taxlady,
Living in France, I now understand your confusion! Personally, it didn't cross my mind at the time as I was thinking 'cake'!!

You certainly can freeze the un-filled pastry or if you bake them all one day, you can fill them the next. IMO I would probably want them eaten the same day the were filled.
I made several hundred for my daughter's wedding, but they were filled with a savory chicken salad, instead of cream. I don't think homemade cream would do well in the freezer. The commercial ones would have all kinds of stabilizers to stop them becoming the soggy mess that Andy refers to.

Back
Top Bottom