ISO How Much Frosting???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
How much frosting do I need to frost a 9" square cake? I looked at one recipe, from Martha Stewart, which makes 5 cups of frosting. That seems like a lot. Do I cut it in half or thirds or quarters?

Does anyone have an already smaller recipe for Dark Chocolate frosting they would like to share? I'm looking for a quick and easy recipe to go with the quick and easy chocolate cake recipe I posted recently.

I knew just why you were looking when I saw this.
Chocolate on chocolate, my favorite cake.

Thanks, Dawg. That's more than I need for a 9x9 but I could cut it down a little.

I figured I'd need the equivalent of half a tub of prepared frosting.

Make some ganache maybe or do you want the fluffier frosting?

2 oz butter
2.5 oz dark chocolate
2 oz corn syrup

Melt butter in microwavable cup, add in the chocolate and corn syrup, whisk til smooth and pour over cake while warm.

2 oz butter
2.5 oz dark chocolate
2 oz corn syrup

Melt butter in microwavable cup, add in the chocolate and corn syrup, whisk til smooth and pour over cake while warm.

OK, this sounds super easy and delicious. I'm going to try this.

Doesn't ganache usually involve cream? Or does that give a different result?

I think it does usually use cream. This is the Ganache glaze on a chocolate raspberry torte that I make. I like it a lot and use it on other cakes as well. Super fudgy and yummy.

You could also make some chocolate donuts.
That would be a way to use up any extra frosting.

And just what is this "extra frosting" of which you speak? I can't recall ever having leftover frosting.

i've had some cupcakes recently thst only had a dollop of icing on top, and they were delicious. it emphasized how good the cake part was without killing it with the usual cloying sweetness.

i'm thinking a cake should be the same in some kind of ratio.

5 cups seems like a lot of frosting, even 2 cups, depending upon the height of the cake.

i've had some cupcakes recently thst only had a dollop of icing on top, and they were delicious. it emphasized how good the cake part was without killing it with the usual cloying sweetness.

5 cups seems like a lot of frosting, even 2 cups, depending upon the height of the cake.

We used to have a restaurant in town that did a similar thing.

They would pipe a small frosting ornament on top of each serving of naked cake. The frosting was intensely flavored and the cake was moist, it was a killer combination with less fat and calories.

The servings were small and the prices were high, it always left you wanting just one more bite!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This was the reason for my OP. How much frosting do I need for a 9x9 cake?

I don't want the frosting to be overpowering.

I like Alix's recipe for that reason.

2 oz butter
2.5 oz dark chocolate
2 oz corn syrup

I used this recipe to top the quick and easy chocolate cake recipe I made. It is delicious and a snap to make!

Thanks, Alix.

Back
Top Bottom