"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
ISO Uses for peppermint sticks

Alright, I admit it. I found some candy canes in my cupboard that need using up. Help! I need ideas. So far, I've thought of smashing them and using them either in a chocolate bark or in brownies. Neither one is really doing it for me.

Anyone out there feeling creative?

__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Alright, I admit it. I found some candy canes in my cupboard that need using up. Help! I need ideas. So far, I've thought of smashing them and using them either in a chocolate bark or in brownies. Neither one is really doing it for me.

Anyone out there feeling creative?
I use them to stir tea.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,757
break them up and spread them on your lawn if a neighborhood dog decides your front lawn is his toilet.

the strong mint smell helps to deter them from wanting to add their own stench.

the first time i heard of something like this, i was told to use cayenne pepper. it worked for a while until the chihuahua's showed up. they just had a party...
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Crush them and use to top ice cream.
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,117
Peppermint stick white chocolate bark.
I made some last week.
Crush the peppermint sticks, melt the white chocolate, mix, and put onto a buttered piece of foil in a pan. Spread it thin.
Score it once it begins to harden.

If you use a microwave to warm the white chocolate, and mix the peppermint stick chunks into it, the microwave will melt the peppermint sticks too, leaving you with a swirled pink white chocolate bark.

I recommend the first method.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Peppermint stick white chocolate bark.
I made some last week.
Crush the peppermint sticks, melt the white chocolate, mix, and put onto a buttered piece of foil in a pan. Spread it thin.
Score it once it begins to harden.

If you use a microwave to warm the white chocolate, and mix the peppermint stick chunks into it, the microwave will melt the peppermint sticks too, leaving you with a swirled pink white chocolate bark.

I recommend the first method.
I love that stuff!
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Crush them and use to top ice cream.
Why not simply make nice big batch of peppermint stick ice cream? Omigosh, that sounds sooooo good right now.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Katie, ICE CREAM! Of course! Thanks!

blissful, mmmmm chocolate bark is one of my faves. I didn't know about the microwave method, thanks!

Aunt Bea, I'll top the ice cream I make with them, thank you for the thought.

PF, regular tea? or herbal stuff?

buckytom, really? Think it would work in my garden for neighborhood kitties? I know they like mint so it might have the opposite effect. And LOL to the chihuahuas!
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Katie, ICE CREAM! Of course! Thanks!

blissful, mmmmm chocolate bark is one of my faves. I didn't know about the microwave method, thanks!

Aunt Bea, I'll top the ice cream I make with them, thank you for the thought.

PF, regular tea? or herbal stuff?

buckytom, really? Think it would work in my garden for neighborhood kitties? I know they like mint so it might have the opposite effect. And LOL to the chihuahuas!
I like it in black tea and especially like it stirred into Chamomile, kind of redundant in mint tea... I know, no one likes a smart aleck!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
Dip them in dark or milk chocolate.
Use them to stir hot chocolate.

Make these:
Candy Cane Chocolate Covered Pretzels
http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/12/c...etzels-recipe/

Or this:
Molten Chocolate Cake with Crushed Candy Canes
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
__________________

__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.