ISO "yummy" bread pudding, w/o raisins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakingGirl

Assistant Cook
Anyone know of a great bread pudding recipe? One without barf me out raisins? I had an excellent bread pudding at a restaurant Kings Fish House, and it was perfect, it was soft warm and not obnoxiously sweet!

There was a great bread pudding recipe on Nigella Feast a few years back...it was wonderful. I don't remember if it had raisins or not but, you can always leave them out. I'm sure you could find the recipe on Foodnetwork.com or Cookingchannel.com

Baking Girl, here is my mom's recipe. leave out the raisins.

BREAD PUDDING

2 cups milk
4 cups coarse bread crumbs
¼ cup butter
½ cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup raisins
1 teaspoon each cinnamon and nutmeg

Heat milk to scalding, then pour over bread crumbs. Cool and add remaining ingredients. Pour into buttered casserole and bake 40-45 minutes in a 350-degree oven.

6 servings.

This one is good... would not suffer from leaving out the dried fruit.
PUMPKIN BREAD PUDDING
1 pound French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 quart half-and-half
6 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 large can (29 ounces) pure pumpkin
2 cups golden raisins or dried cranberries
1 stick butter, melted
3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons vanilla
Butter 10 x 15-inch baking dish. Heat oven to 350°.
Pour half and half over bread cubes; set aside. In another bowl, combine eggs, sugars, pumpkin, raisins, melted butter, spices, and vanilla; blend well. Pour pumpkin mixture over soaked bread and stir to blend.
Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes or more until set.
Serve with whipped cream or ice cream or favorite dessert sauce.
Serves 18.

BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in cream immediately. Cool; store in the refrigerator.
Stir before serving over ice cream, puddings, or desserts.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups of butterscotch sauce.

I've tried this many times. I've had edible results but I've never been able to produce really great bread pudding. It's harder than it looks.

I've tried this many times. I've had edible results but I've never been able to produce really great bread pudding. It's harder than it looks.

.40, are you using fresh bread? that may be the problem. or maybe your bread is fine but you're not letting it soak long enough. just a coupla thoughts.

I think I must be missing the Bread Pudding chromosomes. I have a green-thumb and I came fully equipped with BBQ, and cobbler genes....bread pudding = missing juju magic.

This is the most successful recipe I've tried so far

Ingredients:

1 baguette (about 24 by 3 inches; 3/4 pound), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices and ends discarded
3 cups water
3 large eggs
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
Rounded 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
1 (15 1/4-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained (1 cup)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Arrange bread in 1 layer in a shallow baking pan just large enough to hold it in 1 layer. Pour water over bread and soak 30 seconds. Turn bread over and soak until softened but not falling apart (parts of crust will remain firm), about 4 minutes more. Squeeze water from bread, then transfer bread to a buttered 13- by 9-inch glass baking dish or other 2 1/2-quart shallow baking dish.

3. Whisk together eggs, milk, butter, sugars, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt and stir in raisins and pineapple. Pour mixture over bread and stir gently until combined well.

4. Bake pudding, uncovered, in middle of oven until custard is just set, 45 to 50 minutes.

Last edited:
I have a recipe for bourbon bread pudding that will make your toes curl. It comes from a cookbook called Splendor in the Bluegrass, and comes from a chef at the Oak Room in an old, old, old hotel in Louisville, KY. The hotel is now called the Seelbach Hilton and is a lovely place. The Oak Room is like a set out of an old movie.

I can't post the recipe because of copyright laws, but if you want it I can PM it to you.

Katie H said:
I have a recipe for bourbon bread pudding that will make your toes curl. It comes from a cookbook called Splendor in the Bluegrass, and comes from a chef at the Oak Room in an old, old, old hotel in Louisville, KY. The hotel is now called the Seelbach Hilton and is a lovely place. The Oak Room is like a set out of an old movie.

I can't post the recipe because of copyright laws, but if you want it I can PM it to you.

Yes I would love the recipe via PM! Thanks!

This is one I made for one of our cooking challenges here

The Dessert: Chocolate Raspberry Bread Pudding

Chocolate-Raspberry bread pudding using Challah bread, raspberry jam and semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Ingredients:
1 loaf Challah Bread, cut into 3/4" - 1" slices
4 large Eggs
2 Cups Half-and-half
1 Tsp Cinnamon
2 Tsp Vanilla extract
1/4 Cup granulated sugar
Salt
1 cup Raspberry Jam (I used Smucker's Seedless)
1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips + a few for garnish
non-stick cooking spray

NOTE: Be sure to let the bread sit out on baking racks for 3-4 hours before making this dish. I made the custard in advance and let it sit in the refrigerator for 3 hours before I assembled the dish.

To make the custard, mix together the eggs, half-and-half, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Beat with a whisk until well blended. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least several hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a 9x9 glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Melt the jam in the microwave on low using a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup. Check every 10 seconds and stir until melted and smooth.

Tear the bread into large chunks.

Place a layer of the bread on the bottom of the baking dish, drizzle on 1/3 of the raspberry sauce and evenly sprinkle on 1/2 cup of the chips.

Place the remaining bread on top in another layer, and repeat with another 1/3 of the sauce and the remaining 1/2 cup of chips.

Pour the custard mixture over the bread. Press the bread down with a fork to be sure is it in the custard.

Bake for 45 minutes or until the top springs back when pressed.

Let sit for 10 minuted before serving.

To serve:
Cut the pudding into squares and place one piece on a dish per person.

Reheat the remaining 1/3 cup of raspberry sauce and drizzle
over the top and onto plate of each serving.

Garnish each dish with a few semi-sweet chips.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom