Originally Posted by CharlieD
Never heard of putting jam into a wet jar. Makes no sense to me what's so ever. It is definitely way to have a disaster on your hands. For my jams I ran the jars in the dishwasher take them out when they are dry, pure hot jam in and do not close until jams cools down so not to have evaporation inside the jar. I do use canning jars, but it is more out of convenience than anything else. My mother uses whatever jars she saves and she most of the times doesn't even covers them with leads. She uses some parchment paper and a robber band to hold it. I have had jams seating for 5 years never go bad, never had any mold, never *crystallized.
I wonder if it was just show and they skip the drying step.
I was always taught to cover while hot because you get a proper seal and there is less opportunity for mould spores, etc to get at the jam.
You can buy special clear cellophane circles which you fasten down with rubber bands but I prefer screw-on lids.Less of a fiddle and less chance of scalding yourself. Incidentally if you seal with the cellophane things they get a dish in them where the sealing process as they cool sucked the cover in
Some recipes over here use paraffin wax poured on the top of the jam to seal it from the air but although I know about it I don't know anyone who does it.
*Mostly crystallisation is caused by not dissolving the sugar properly before you let it start to boil.