"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Lard in your pastry!

I've just made lard for the first time and want to try making pie crusts and pastries using it because I've always heard that they make them flakier and richer.

Can I substitute Lard for Butter on a one to one ratio?

Any good recipes using lard out there?
-- kinda literally this time.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Since Crisco and Spry were pretty much the original hardened vegetable shortenings offered as a substitute for lard , lard can be more or less substituted on a 1 for 1 basis in recipe's calling for vegetable shortening. Don't think I'd wanna make butter cookies with lard. Yeast dough jelly donuts (berliners) and whole wheat krullers fried in lard are delish; as are french frys. But at 99 cents a pound you need to shell out $5 to $10 for the fat.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Master Chef

Lard makes wonderful pie crust and biscuits...the best, IMO. Use it at the same ratio you would any other shortening.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Everymom

2/3 cup lard
2 cups flour
sprinkle of sugar
4-5 tbsp cold water

Do you need the method too? Place dry ingredients in a bowl, cut lard into dry ingredients until pieces are like cornmeal or slightly larger. Dunk your hands into ice water and let them get cold before blending in the water. Add about 3 tbsps water and "stick" dough together. Add the last 2 tbsps at your discretion. The dough should all stick together but not be wet. This is enough for one double crust pie.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Head Chef

Just make sure it is fresh. Depending upon where you live and shop, it can be rancid on the shelf.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Everymom

Susan, whole milk just made their own lard so I'm guessing its as fresh as it gets.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Susan, whole milk just made their own lard so I'm guessing its as fresh as it gets.
It's so fresh there's still "OINK" in it, babe.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
2/3 cup lard
2 cups flour
sprinkle of sugar
4-5 tbsp cold water

Do you need the method too? Place dry ingredients in a bowl, cut lard into dry ingredients until pieces are like cornmeal or slightly larger. Dunk your hands into ice water and let them get cold before blending in the water. Add about 3 tbsps water and "stick" dough together. Add the last 2 tbsps at your discretion. The dough should all stick together but not be wet. This is enough for one double crust pie.
Alix, have you been into my grandma's recipe file? That's exactly the recipe my family has always used, except we add a pinch of salt.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Lard makes wonderful pie crust and biscuits...the best, IMO. Use it at the same ratio you would any other shortening.
Yep, for biscuits and pie crust lard really excels! Tender and flaky........

I just use lard in equal amounts for any biscuit/pie crust recipe that does not use oil.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by whole milk View Post
I've just made lard for the first time and want to try making pie crusts and pastries using it because I've always heard that they make them flakier and richer.

Can I substitute Lard for Butter on a one to one ratio?

Any good recipes using lard out there?
-- kinda literally this time.

When we visited my in-laws relatives in the U.P. of Michigan, Cornish pasties were always on the menu for dinner. They made pasties with beef suet and I have to tell you there isn't a crust I've tasted since that can compare. Suet (lard) makes the flakiest, richest crust ever for savory pies and pasties. Not sure about fruit pies, might be a little too "lardy" but I don't know.

Tags
None