"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Saturated fat (lard) or Trans fat (Crisco). Lady's choice. Personally, I'd substitute a good olive oil myself.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Saturated fat (lard) or Trans fat (Crisco). Lady's choice. Personally, I'd substitute a good olive oil myself.
Olive Oil has a flavor of its own. Would you want a chocolate cake made with Olive Oil? Lard or Crisco is flavorless. Olive Oil is healthier for you, granted. But not all recipes call for a liquid fat. They each have their own place in the kitchen.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Thanks

Thanks - it must be something else. Have you ever used powder of ammonia? Can I substitute baking powder without a problem?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipm003 View Post
Thanks - it must be something else. Have you ever used powder of ammonia? Can I substitute baking powder without a problem?
I have never used baker's ammonia, also known as "salt of hartshorn". But, I have eaten cookies that used it as leavening. Yes, you can substitute, but you won't get quite as light and crisp a cookie with baking powder. I am sorry, I don't know how much baking powder you would substitute for how much baker's ammonia.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Olive Oil has a flavor of its own. Would you want a chocolate cake made with Olive Oil? Lard or Crisco is flavorless. Olive Oil is healthier for you, granted. But not all recipes call for a liquid fat. They each have their own place in the kitchen.
I have made chocolate cakes with olive oil, many times. If you want flavourless, use canola oil.

Oh, and transfats do NOT have a place in any healthy kitchen.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Oh, and transfats do NOT have a place in any healthy kitchen.
McDonalds fries have never been the same
Frying in duck or beef fat wouldn't be good either, right
Everything in moderation
Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
Frying in duck or beef fat wouldn't be good either, right
Isn't Duck Fat a character on Hawaii Five-0?

Animal fat is saturated fat, which really isn't very healthy, but it's still better than transfats.

Transfats are so bad for you that the Federal Government will not even establish a minimum daily allowance for it.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Isn't Duck Fat a character on Hawaii Five-0?

Animal fat is saturated fat, which really isn't very healthy, but it's still better than transfats.

Transfats are so bad for you that the Federal Government will not even establish a minimum daily allowance for it.
It was his French cousin Duck a l'Orange. Deja vu, didn't we already discuss this before, Wo Fat, Wo Nelly and etc.?

I don't trust the federal government to tell me anything other than what the time of day is. National Bureau of Standards or whatever they call it today...

My own feeling is that Crisco is so synthetic that I'd rather use pure lard (without all the preservatives) and just not eat it very often.

If you rely on only taste then I think lard in pie crusts is a pure winner by several lengths. The more unhealthy food is the better it tastes. I thought everybody knew that by now.

If it tastes good it is bad for you.

If it tastes bad it is good for you.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
My own feeling is that Crisco is so synthetic that I'd rather use pure lard (without all the preservatives) and just not eat it very often.
The drawback to that is you can not share a pie made with lard with any Muslim friends or any Jewish friends who keep kosher. Marie Callender uses butter (I asked them) as the shortening in their pie crusts, but they won't give out the whole recipe.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #30
Executive Chef

No problem for me. I don't know any Muslims and my Jewish friends don't follow the Kosher laws.

Tags
None