Lard vs Crisco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saturated fat (lard) or Trans fat (Crisco). Lady's choice. Personally, I'd substitute a good olive oil myself.

Olive Oil has a flavor of its own. Would you want a chocolate cake made with Olive Oil? Lard or Crisco is flavorless. Olive Oil is healthier for you, granted. But not all recipes call for a liquid fat. They each have their own place in the kitchen. :)

Thanks

Thanks - it must be something else. Have you ever used powder of ammonia? Can I substitute baking powder without a problem?

Thanks - it must be something else. Have you ever used powder of ammonia? Can I substitute baking powder without a problem?

I have never used baker's ammonia, also known as "salt of hartshorn". But, I have eaten cookies that used it as leavening. Yes, you can substitute, but you won't get quite as light and crisp a cookie with baking powder. I am sorry, I don't know how much baking powder you would substitute for how much baker's ammonia.

Olive Oil has a flavor of its own. Would you want a chocolate cake made with Olive Oil? Lard or Crisco is flavorless. Olive Oil is healthier for you, granted. But not all recipes call for a liquid fat. They each have their own place in the kitchen. :)

I have made chocolate cakes with olive oil, many times. If you want flavourless, use canola oil.

Oh, and transfats do NOT have a place in any healthy kitchen.

Frying in duck or beef fat wouldn't be good either, right

Isn't Duck Fat a character on Hawaii Five-0?

Animal fat is saturated fat, which really isn't very healthy, but it's still better than transfats.

Transfats are so bad for you that the Federal Government will not even establish a minimum daily allowance for it.

Isn't Duck Fat a character on Hawaii Five-0?

Animal fat is saturated fat, which really isn't very healthy, but it's still better than transfats.

Transfats are so bad for you that the Federal Government will not even establish a minimum daily allowance for it.

It was his French cousin Duck a l'Orange. Deja vu, didn't we already discuss this before, Wo Fat, Wo Nelly and etc.? ;)

I don't trust the federal government to tell me anything other than what the time of day is. National Bureau of Standards or whatever they call it today...

My own feeling is that Crisco is so synthetic that I'd rather use pure lard (without all the preservatives) and just not eat it very often.

If you rely on only taste then I think lard in pie crusts is a pure winner by several lengths. The more unhealthy food is the better it tastes. I thought everybody knew that by now.

If it tastes good it is bad for you.

If it tastes bad it is good for you.

My own feeling is that Crisco is so synthetic that I'd rather use pure lard (without all the preservatives) and just not eat it very often.

The drawback to that is you can not share a pie made with lard with any Muslim friends or any Jewish friends who keep kosher. Marie Callender uses butter (I asked them) as the shortening in their pie crusts, but they won't give out the whole recipe.

The drawback to that is you can not share a pie made with lard with any Muslim friends or any Jewish friends who keep kosher. Marie Callender uses butter (I asked them) as the shortening in their pie crusts, but they won't give out the whole recipe.

Vegetarians don't want to eat lard either.

When I can find it, I like to use palm oil. It's solid at room temperature without having trans or saturated fat.

The local health food store carries a vegan shortening that doesn't have weird chemicals in it, but it doesn't work as well as the palm oil.

Back
Top Bottom