Lemon Curd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rainee said:
Anyone have any good uses for lemon curd? I had some but didn't know what to do with it.
I was going to suggest lemon curd but many beat me to it. My recipe is similar to crewsk's but a little less sugar and a touch of vanilla stirred in after the lemon curd has thickened but is still warm.

I think lemon curd makes an elegant summer dessert - I serve it with fresh summer berries and a plate of homemade sugar cookies on the side.

I recently made a summer tart with lemon curd - you need a pre-baked pastry shell (homemade or purchased). Let the lemon curd cool until just slightly warm and pour it into the tart shell and refrigerate until firm. Put halved strawberries (or your fruit of choice - blueberries are nice too as long as they're nice and sweet) on top of the tart in a pretty pattern. Dust top with sugar just before serving. (If you wanted to be really fancy, you could macerate the fruit in a mixture of sugar and a nice liquor for awhile before putting it on the tart.)

Lemon Curd, besides being the perfect filling for carrot cake, and topping for biscuits, french toast, etc, is also a great ingredient to have on hand when you are making a sauce. Here's an example: when I grill chicken, a nice "after-grill" glaze is a mix of soy sauce, lemon curd, ginger, minced garlic, diced green onions, and sesame seeds.

Also, when gently heated it is lovely for a topping over peach pie a la mode.

Another: bake a gingerbread, and just when it comes out of the oven, poke holes with a skewer about every 1/2" and spread the lemon curd over it, making sure it leaks into the holes.

One more thought - dark chocolate and lemon is a favorite of mine - try topping your brownies with this stuff and you will have a hit!

Back
Top Bottom