Lemon Curd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
I found this on cooks.com & made it today. Overall, it's pretty good, but not as much lemon flavor as I would have liked. If anyone has another recipe, I'd love to try it!

1C. sugar
3 large eggs
1 egg yolk
1/2C(1 stick) butter cut into pieces
1/2C fresh lemon juice
2Tbsp. grated lemon peel

Whisk all ingredients together in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat until butter melts.Cook until mixture thickens to consistency of lightly whipped cream, whisking constantly, about 5 minutes. Pour into bowl, cover & refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Story of my life! That spell checker that kitchenelf posted was directed at me I am sure! LOL

I had to go back & change the title 3 times before I posted it, I kept typing lemon crud.:ohmy: It's been a long week & it's only Tuesday!!

Anyone have any good uses for lemon curd? I had some but didn't know what to do with it.

Lemon crud!! Oh stop girl, you are making my sides ache!

Rainee, try it in tart shells, or in thimble cookies. Yum.

We like it on pancakes and rolls and we've been known to hide in the closet and dip snickerdoodle cookies in it. Yummmmers!

I'm using it to top slices of sour cream poundcake & the putting sliced strawberries on top of that. It can also be used as a filling for cakes. If you go to www.cooks.com & do a serch for lemon curd, it brings up several recipes using it.

Delia Smith's version - a quick one!
(I've made this quite a few times as my husband adores lemon curd)

Makes three 1 lb (350 ml capacity) jars (which should be sterilized before use)

Grated zest and juice 4 large juicy lemons

4 large eggs

12 oz (350 g) golden caster sugar

8 oz (225 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small lumps

1 level dessertspoon cornflour

Lightly whisk the eggs in a medium-sized saucepan, then add the rest of the ingredients and place the saucepan over a medium heat. Whisk continuously using a balloon whisk until the mixture thickens – about 7-8 minutes. Next, lower the heat to its minimum setting and let the curd gently simmer for a further minute, continuing to whisk. After that, remove it from the heat.

Now pour the lemon curd into the hot, sterilised jars, filling them as full as possible, cover straightaway with waxed discs, seal while it is still hot and label when it is cold. It will keep for several weeks, but it must be stored in a cool place.

A recipe in one of her cookery books is to make a plain roulade - and when cool to smooth on a generous layer of lemon curd, then a generous layer of fresh cream (I add lemon zest to the cream) before rolling it up. Delicious!

Here's a nice lemon and lime curd recipe, courtesy of a UK supermarket's give away recipe cards.

Lemon and Lime Curd

This curd is quick and easy to make.. It will keep in the fridge for up to one month and is particularly good on warm scones, as a filling for tartlets, or folded into mascarpone to make a quick dessert.

2 unwaxed lemons, washed
2 organic limes, washed
3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
100g unsalted butter, cubed
200g granulated sugar

Finely grate the zest from the lemons and limes. Squeeze the juice from one of the lemons and both the limes. Put the lemon and lime zest and juice in a large, heatproof bowl with all the remaining ingredients.

Set the bowl over a large pan of barely simmering water, ensuring that the bowl is not in contact with the water. Keep the water at a simmer only, otherwise the eggs may curdle. Stirring all the time, cook the curd until it thickens just enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. This will take 20-30 minutes at which point the curd will look slightly cloudy.

Warm 2-3 small clean jars with a total capacity of 500ml, in a moderate oven for 5 minutes. Pour the curd into the jars almost to the top and place a waxed disc on top immediately. Cover when cold, label and date.

Rainee said:
Hadn't thought of torting a cake with it.
we sell lemon torte cakes at work. basically it's 4 layers of yellow cake w/ lemon curd between the layers. iced with lemon icing and topped w/ whit chocolate and raspberries.

It'll be a week or 2 before I get to try them. We need to finish off all the other goodies I've been baking first. If I don't slow it down some I'm going to be too big to fit in my chair!:LOL:

I put lemon curd on buttered toast. I think it's my favourite topping for toast.

Thanks all, for the recipes!

Sara

Back
Top Bottom