"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
As I've aged, I'm in my 60s, I've observed my tastes (all of them) changing. When I was very young, you couldn't get me near Brussels sprouts or asparagus. Now I love them. From birth until I was in about my late 40s I was violently allergic to cooked carrots. Raw carrots were perfectly fine. Now, however, I can eat a bushel of cooked carrots with no adverse effects. Don't know what happened there, but the maple-glazed carrots we had for dinner last night were heaven on a plate to me.

As for sweets, I did notice that as the years progressed I wasn't nearly as interested in them. I was the world's biggest sweets junkie, particularly chocolate, when I was young(er). Now, I would be hard-pressed to find any chocolate in the house.

I think what has happened for me over time is that I've somehow struck a balance. I really relish a meal that has a nice mixture of protein, carbs and fats, as well as a reasonable balance among them.

I have to add, though, that when I was growing up there was no real fast-food around and junk food (particularly sweets) was not very prolific and my parents just didn't have those things in the house, except for special times. Birthday cake was a REAL treat!

Having said all this, I still truly enjoy a delicious piece of mile-high chocolate cake...but not as often as years ago.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
Master Chef

Absolutely! in my last couple years of menopause, my sense of scent went haywire. Quickly. I'd made Thanksgiving dinner, and the next Friday as I was making the stock, it smelled repulsive. I thought maybe I hadn't refridgerated the carcass quickly enough and it spoiled? Then hubby woke and took in a deep breath and kept going on about how he just loved this as much as he loved the dinner itself. The stock was fine. But that started a two year period where very little, no matter how much I loved it, many foods just smelled and tasted repulsive. It gradually went away except I'm still not crazy about two things I used to love -- cucumbers and watermelon still aren't appealing. If I was going to permanently dislike something, couldn't it have been something fattening?

Also, a lot of times if you give up one thing, your taste for sweets can drastically change. Giving up smoking and/or drinking, even caffeine, can bring on a sweets craving in those who never liked them before. If you change your diet, for any reason (whether voluntary aka becoming a vegetarian, or health dictated, i.e, diabetes, cholesterol control, blood pressure, allergies) it can eventually change your cravings, your taste buds, your sense of scent.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I used to like white chocolate, but it doesn't apeal to me now, and I can actually pass it up (not worth the calories). I have always enjoyed milk chocolate, but now I just LOVE a very dark chocolate.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Within the last year or two, I have really grown to dislike the taste of beef in several forms....I KNOW!! I still love a good steak now and then or a good grilled burger, but otherwise, I'm not much interested. I think I've just had enough roast beef, meat loaf, etc. to last me for a while. I honestly prefer chicken, pork, turkey or shrimp/fish nowadays.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I am only 23, and have had changes in taste. I am not convinced it is just due to getting past child bearing years.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Thanks for the replies! *hugs* I'm so VERY glad that I at least asked my question in the first place. I really was kinda-sorta thinking that there was perhaps something may be very wrong w/me...I don't think I do so much anymore though...guess it can be "normal" for folks to decide for whatever reason that tastes change here & there.
What really kinda "spooked" me, was, yesterday, DH & I watched on the food network a show called something like "Worlds Greatest Buffets" (or something similar name-wise). Anyhow, they kept showing places that show-cased the all you can eat dessert bars. The people on the show were like "OMG - *heaven*", &, had full plates of every kind of sweets on the planet. They looked really excited to me, but, as I was watching, when they showed the desserts, I was like "YUCK - go back to the crab legs, or shrimp" (or any of the other foods)...
Then, to add to it, I came downstairs, &, looked through my pantry, &, realized how full of junk it was.
My DH does around 97% of the grocery shopping. I just mostly give him lists, &, *poof* ingredients magically appear. Anyhow, lets just say that he spends far too much time in the bakery/cookie/chip aisles. If you came for a visit, you would think that I was the perfect "Hostess", & expect to see a Keebler elf pop out from behind the couch w/a tray of cookies, &, most assuredly, you would think that "Little Debbie" was a beloved family member.
My kitchen is a mecca full of garbage...which I cannot eat, nor enjoy. GAH!!!...anyone want me to express mail them some oatmeal pies? :)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #17
Executive Chef

OK, those packaged goodies don't sound so good to me either, and I do like sweets. I just like the ones that come out of my oven, I don't invite "little debbie" to my house because then I wouldn't be a good "hostess."
Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #18
Senior Cook

LOL...Chopper, how 'bout a Swiss cake roll, &, a half-eaten bag of Taco flavored Doritos then?...also, if you provide your shipping address(I encourage the sooner the better as far as these chips are concerned), you will be eligible for my "special offer" of a BONUS FREE TWINKIE!! (yay you)!!

PS, this "bonus" offer is only good if you respond within the next 30 minutes - HAHAHA
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Funny, I said I was developing a sweet tooth...I just meant i was eating more dark chocolate than usual. Some of the things described, still don't sound good. I have a firm belief in things being too sweet.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Fiona, I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth yanked when I was 19 (go figure..just as soon as I "got wise"...I removed it) LOL....&, about 3 yrs. ago, I lost a molar. I just think that, somewhere in between the wisdoms, & that molar, well, my "sweet tooth" must have been wedged in between them. :( It's...well, dang it, its just gone!

Tags
None