"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Lost my "taste" for sweets :(...WHERE did it go??

I grew up being a "cookie monster". Mom never bought much sweets or soda, &, at times, I found myself eating bitter baking chocolate just to appease my brain into thinking that - "hey...it may taste like crud, but..its STILL chocolate at least." Literally, there was NO cake, pie, ice cream, nor cookie which did not tempt me.
Also, my mom used to go on & on how soda was just "sugar water", & complained about how sweet it was. I thought the lady was insane...just couldn't understand why she preferred diet soda & unsweetened tea & such. ...however, she DID have a "soft spot" for desserts.
Now that I am much older however, I absolutely can't stand much of ANYTHING that is sweet. When I see folks that go "ga-ga" for cakes & whatnot, I feel a bit out of place even. You honestly could not pay me to eat a slice of pie, donut or a cookie etc. now. I detest things like that now, &, would probabally get ill if I imagined forced to do so. Just looking at a box of Twinkies turns my stomach. I also, now too agree w/my mum that soda is just too sweet. *yech*
I've been like this going on 10 yrs. or so...perhaps longer even, just maybe not as extreme. I DO however like candied sweet potatoes , gummi bears, Starbursts & Skittles. But, its rare that I eat them. I have hypo-gleymecia ?sp?, so..I tend to make sure that I have these few things hidden for when needed (thankfully, not often).
I suppose my question that I would like to ask other members, is...have any of you guys had such a drastic revulsion to any foods/food groups such as I have? I really can't sort out or remember when or why I stopped eating these kinds of foods. Nowadays, my little "yummies" come from the deli in meats & cheeses.

Midnight_Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Head Chef
Hummm.... I seem to have the opposite problem. I could live on sweets but protein can be unbearably difficult for me to eat at times. It doesn't happen always but it happens frequently where I just can't stand protein. I'll cook it for my family and maybe I'll serve some for myself but after one bite I just can't take it. The trouble is that I have a condition that requires that I concentrate my food choices on proteins. So I do medical protein powder when this happens. (Actually I do it every day but increase it when I can't take the real food proteins). I have a friend who tells me that this is an old lady thing. Well, that may be true, I don't know. I'm sure it's no comfort to you but I would rather have your problem than mine.

joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
Senior Cook
Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Unfortunately I cannot relate to either of you on this matter. When I was a baby instead of buying baby food my mother just put whatever we were having for dinner in the food processor and serve it up. The list of things I do not enjoy eating is very short:

Liver (because of the texture and taste)
Oysters (only because of the texture)

And having spent considerable time in SE Asia I feel compelled to include some of Thailand's favorite snacks:

Bugs (because....ew)

But that's about it! Everything else is fair game.

Midnight, if you're not big on sweets you should try a few German desserts. German desserts are famously "semi-sweet". I grew up on those and don't like many American desserts which are *very* sweet, or those I do like I can only take in limited quantities.

Give me a piece of authentic black forest cake ANY day though....
cmarchibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I used to put sugar in my coffee, but now I find that gross.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I got sick and tired of pepper on everything. I use it on cottage cheese, but that's about it.

I've also developed a dislike for the taste of bell peppers. This one caught me by surprise. Bell peppers were too expensive for me for a long time. A few months ago, they were on sale, so I bought a couple and added them to everything. I discovered I didn't like them at all anymore.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
Executive Chef
My taste tolerance for overly sweet beverages, cakes and cookies has steadily increased over the past 30 - 35 years. Heavily sugared foods leave me with a sour aftertaste.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
Head Chef
It's just the opposite for me... As a child I hated sweets, never ate them, but as of the past few years I can't live without them... I am a major sweet food junkie now, I love it all, with the exception of any hard candy or anything gummie...
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
Senior Cook
I have recently found mushrooms rather revolting. Which is odd, but I used to love them. I also cannot drink a whole soda anymore. I find that it is far too sweet and not enjoyable. I am also finding that if I have a lot of sugar in the evening when I wake up in the morning I am really out of whack. I have found that warmed milk with a heavy dose of cinnamon helps me. I have been trying hard to eat better and cut out sweets, but I write a cooking blog, and people really like desserts, so I try to put them on frequently, which means I have to eat it.
Happy Cooking!!

betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
I've noticed that sweets don't do it for me anymore. This has been true for four-five years now. Protein, however, I am a protein junky. My idea of the perfect snack is a hardcooked egg with pepper on it (I was thrilled when Dr. Oz said that eating an egg a day is good for you). My DH is a "veggie" nut. His idea of veggies (not counting potatoes or corn--those are starches) would be five every night--steamed beans, broccoli and cauliflower, summer squash, kale or swiss chard is his favorite combination. I swear he was a hippo in another life (hippos eat 50 kg of vegetation / day). I don't know anyone else who eats veggies like he does. And bread--almost a loaf / day. And no, he is not overweight. He's the energizer bunny. I do think as we age, our tastes do change. This is one of the issues re: the elderly and nutrition. It can take as much as 12 times as much seasoning for someone who is elderly to taste the seasoning.
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Creamed chopped chard or kale are two of my favs, carrots being one of my least favorites. Many times the chard taste a bit 'sweet' even though it may be a tad bitter.

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote