Made a "ganache" tonight..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
Tonight, wanting something chocolaty I pulled the cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla and a butter out. While gnoche is generally chocolate melted by hot heavy cream I had neither the solid chocolate, nor the cream.

Now this was cooked by eye, no recipe, after all I was making it up as I went along.

I tossed some butter in a pot, started it melting and added white sugar and cocoa powder. I did stir in a little water to aid the powders to combine.

Brought the mixture up to a boil, boiled until it was at a thick foamy boil stirring continuously. I pulled it off the heat, stirred in some vanilla and poured into a buttered bowl to allow it to cool.

When cooled it was a nice thick consistency. Thicker than a pudding but not thick enough to hold a shape. VERY rich, fudge-like flavor. Very creamy!!!!! I guess it would be a gnache.. definitely great tasting. Something to be served in a small amount with a bit of whipped cream on top.

Last edited:
What a wonderful way you had making Chocolate Ganache, and "by eye", too. :) It is the richest, most unctuous of all chocolates. I like making mine with whipped cream, similarly "heavy"; in the UK over here, we call it "double cream".

When I make chocolate truffles, mine resemble small pieces of brown coal which I dust in cocoa. They're wonderfully messy things. I like acting my shoe size.

Ooh.. forgot a critical ingredient. A tablespoon of creamy peanut butter. It really makes it smooth and adds a nice richness. You really can't taste peanut flavor, just smooths it out.

Back
Top Bottom