"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 05-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I think the idea is kind of cool, but why would you do this? It's not like it will be your chocolate. Someone else selected the beans, someone else did all of the initial work. You're essentially just taking a finished product (cocoa powder) and reverse engineering it into another finished product (chocolate).

This would be like taking heavy cream from the supermarket and turning it into butter. You could do it, but why? It would still be the same cream, from the same cow. You wouldn't have "created" it.

And needless to say, your home grown product is going to be vastly inferior to anything made by professionals.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
Cook

Since cocoa can be used as a sub for chocolate by adding fat (for example, in a brownie recipe), I guess it theoretically can be done. The best chocolate is using cocoa butter. Cheap chocolate adds other kinds of fats. Why do you want to do it? It will be no better a product than the quality you start with.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
Senior Cook

It could still be fun to make your own chocolate from cocoa powder, cocoa butter, and sugar. Of course it isn't completely from scratch but you still get to design is just how you want it.....The sweetness level, the mouthfeel(somewhat), the melt, the cocoa percetange...

Might as well have some fun with it...

Robert
Chocolate Guild :: The Chocolate Connoisseur's Home Base
Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Being someone who lives very isolated from a local convince store or even someplace where I can readily access cacao beans as many are given specifically to "chocolateers" as like to call them and not for common household use.

But recently a very large company moved into town, the name Whole Foods, and one of their products is something known as a "cacao nib" I now use the one with no sugar added to make my chocolate.

Don't despair, you're very brave for wanting to experiment like this. I once wanted to know how exactly to make chocolate from cocoa powder, I got so frustrated that I ended up taking coconut paste and Bakers chocolate to make my homemade chocolate. Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #15
Head Chef

Ive sat through the automated Hershey ride again and again ( and probably have a several videos/ dvd's of the singing cows and dancing Hershey kisses). It seems like a long, tedious process. And it is one of those things that you wonder, how did they think they would get something so delicious from the innitial ingredient, that tastes like crap.

Ive actually ordered a cacao pod online. Separated the seeds. Roasted them. Ground them down .....and tried to do my best impression of Milton Hershey. As you can see, It was a lot of fun, but Milty has nothing to worry about.

I think its great to attempt to make something from raw products or even processed products. How many times do we buy the frozen cookie dough, or betty crocker cake mixes, cook them up, then call them homemade? I think if there is a will, there is a way. Might not be worth the effort in the long run, but , knock yourself out. It will be a fun experiment, and even a rewarding one if you can pull it off.

Here is the link to the fresh cacao pods, if u get further inspired.

Fresh Tropical Fruits
Old 06-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Thumbs down Ouch Shot down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr View Post
I think the idea is kind of cool, but why would you do this? It's not like it will be your chocolate. Someone else selected the beans, someone else did all of the initial work. You're essentially just taking a finished product (cocoa powder) and reverse engineering it into another finished product (chocolate).

This would be like taking heavy cream from the supermarket and turning it into butter. You could do it, but why? It would still be the same cream, from the same cow. You wouldn't have "created" it.

And needless to say, your home grown product is going to be vastly inferior to anything made by professionals.
Sad to see so many sceptics, if people are trying to look for ways to do something an easier way they are obviously not trying to get perfection. These types of ideas and experimentation are what have formed many recipes and here people are just shooting others down?
I personally think there must be a way to create even mock chocolate without going throuhg the tedious process of grinding the cocoa beans etc. themselves. And what does it matter what ingredients he uses.. just because he's not grinding the beans? Does that mean its not his anyway because someone else grew them?
Would it also be wrong for people to make their own wine, beer, cheese or ginger ale? Good luck if you haven't already done it.. i'll be sure to experiment myself soon I'll let you guys know hoe it goes.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisLWolf View Post
Sad to see so many sceptics, if people are trying to look for ways to do something an easier way they are obviously not trying to get perfection. These types of ideas and experimentation are what have formed many recipes and here people are just shooting others down?
I personally think there must be a way to create even mock chocolate without going throuhg the tedious process of grinding the cocoa beans etc. themselves. And what does it matter what ingredients he uses.. just because he's not grinding the beans? Does that mean its not his anyway because someone else grew them?
Would it also be wrong for people to make their own wine, beer, cheese or ginger ale? Good luck if you haven't already done it.. i'll be sure to experiment myself soon I'll let you guys know hoe it goes.
You'll likely be more successful if you avoid using Dutch (alkali) processed cocoa. Penzeys has the good cocoa as well as the Dutch Process stuff

Tags
None