"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Tomorrow we're going to try Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Chocolate Feather Bed" cake on page 273 in her book "Rose's Heavenly Cakes"!

Pictures to come...

Old 06-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Sprained ankle... cake baking starts next wekend...

Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #23
Flour Child

uh oh...take care of yourself so you're good enough to do an irish jig or two on your wedding day. Loved the youtube of your fiddlers...fun! and your chocolate cake pic is awesome.

This pic is just a heads up
...and on a more serious note,
the next one is just a pretty cake I liked.
It looks like a soft satin ribbon but is
probably ganache.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weddingcake-squirrel.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	8213   Click image for larger version

Name:	wedding_cake.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	8214  

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
Cook

I saw once on food network an engagement cake challenge The winner had each tire with a different flavor (lemon and raspberry / coffee and chocolate ...cant remember the rest)

this was his design

Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #25
Certified Cake Maniac

I made a cake like that for my niece's wedding. The structure took my husband a total of 9 hours to build. They must have done that ahead of time.

Nick, I hope your ankle is better - how is the cake testing coming?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Whoops, the thread slipped by a bit - sorry 'bout that!
-----
mollyanne - Love the squirrel!
-----
Number 18 - Looks like it must have a pretty serious under-frame/support!
We're still pondering the actual construction of our cake.
-----
Cake testing has been going well, with half a dozen trials and a few pounds added to our waistlines...

We've been cooking through "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" from various sections, and also finding inspiration from other cookbooks we have.

In my head I wanted a butter-based cake, but not being a baker I was way off the mark. We have found near-perfection (for our desires) in a modified version of Rose's base Genoise, which uses the cocoa butter in lot's of melted chocolate to substitute for the traditional melted butter. We have replaced certain ingredients however, substituting fresh italian-roast espresso for her fluids, and some brown sugar for white (bringing a hint of molasses).

The net result is a moist and airy sponge cake with a little crumb that is just loaded with coffee and chocolate flavor. We make our mochas every morning with a teaspoon of brown sugar, so the molasses is our spin I guess.

We're working on the syrup now that is traditionally brushed on genoise to increase it's flavor and moisture even further... I can't imagine. We're considering doing an "Adult" layer that will include a bit of coffee liqueur in the syrup - perhaps some Kahlua or Bailey's.
-----
On a side note, we're considering serving a homemade ice cream or gelato on the side infused with a bit of lavender. It will be made ahead, so it won't pose any additional time constraints. I recently picked up Mario Batali's new book which is spectacular (one of the only food network chefs that I own books from). One of his pastry chefs gave up all her gelato recipes!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #27
Head Chef

Hi Nick, glad that your cake baking is going well for you, sorry to hear about your waistlines...
Since you and your finance seem to really like your coffee have you considered doing a tiramisu cake using your genoise??? You could then make a mocha buttercream frosting...
Just a thought...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Mimiz - Tiramisu is certainly an inspiration for our cake, although we're attempting to incorporate a deep chocolate flavor as the primary component. The coffee is kind of like Watson to the Chocolate Sherlock.
-----
Still researching syrups to glaze our Genoise with. Frostings will be next.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #29
Certified Cake Maniac

Nick, I have Collette Peters' (a renound cake artist) mocha buttercream that is to die for. Actually the base buttercream is awesome and you can adapt it well to other flavours. It is a meringue based buttercream so it holds up well to sitting out for awhile but is light and fluffy at the same time. If you are interested let me know and I will PM it to you.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #30
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
mmmm I have eaten Colette's creations, and she is gooood!

Tags
None