"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Warm liquid chocolate + solid room temp shortening = thicker chocolate

Did you heat the mixture AFTER you added the shortening? That's all you needed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
The chocolate 'siezed', which happens when chocolate gets too hot.
'Seizing' is what happens when a small amount of water gets into chocolate. When chocolate gets too hot, it scorches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
Double cream would have been the best thing to add to the choc rather than shortning.
A small amount of double cream would have caused the chocolate to seize. A larger amount would have created a ganache. A ganache and an oil/fat thinned chocolate are two completely different animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
sadly when it goes grainy like that, it`s irreversible too :(
Sadly, that is not correct. Unless the chocolate is scorched, just about any attribute is reversible. If water isn't involved, letting it cool will bring it back together/re-incorporate the fat, or, if it's cool, heating it will remove the lumpiness/graininess. If water is involved, adding more water will thin it out/make it flow. The only thing that can't be undone is scorching/burning. You can't unburn burned chocolate.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Just to clarify for scott(which he probably ment)....If you get water in the chocolate...that only way to save it is too add more water(heavy cream usually) and make a ganache. Ganache is far different from chocolate so you are creating a different product but it is still completely good and usuable...just to clarify...

Robert
Chocolate Guild :: Chocolate Guild :: learn about chocolate, talk about chocolate

Old 01-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
Senior Cook

[quote=Andy M.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguynamedrobert
I have never heard of adding shortening.../quote]

S.O. adds shortening to chocolate. She uses it to drizzle onto cookies. It hardens as it cools.
probably a dumb uestion, but who is "s.o."?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I can see two possible issues: try melting your chocolate and shortening at the same time. Also, since you kept your shortening in the fridge its very possible that moisture in the air condensed onto your shortening as or before your were adding it.... and as aguynamedrobert mentioned, small amounts of water will cause chocolate to sieze.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
Cook

This is quite a coincidence. I was melting chocolate yesterday, things were going well then, I added a teaspoon of room temperature vanilla. The same thing happened to me. The chocolate started to get hard, for a moment I thought I had accidentally turned the burner down. I tried to re-melt it and smelled scorching so I threw it out. On a positive note my butter toffee tastes fine by itself.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Vanilla is alcohol and water based....anything water based cannot be added to chocolate or else it will seize up and get thick...
The reason for this is because chocolate is full of DRY particals so when you put just enough water in the chocolate to coat SOME of those particals they are get sticky and cling to each other...to cure this you add more water to moisten ALL the dry particals...at that point you would have a ganache...

Robert
Chocolate Guild :: learn about chocolate, talk about chocolate
Old 01-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #17
Cook

Darn! I have a pint of whipping cream in my fridge that I 've been trying to find a use for. Of course if I had made a ganache I'd be making a cake or something now and since I couldn't even melt chocolate yesterday the cake may not have turned out so good. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Why don't you make a Ganache and makes some truffles? then you could use the chocolate and the cream...

Robert
Chocolate Guild :: learn about chocolate, talk about chocolate
Old 01-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #19
Cook

I thought about that but I didn't save the chocolate because it had a slight scorched smell. I didn't read up on ganache and truffles 'till last night...but next time I'll know exactly what to do. Thanks again.

Tags
None