"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 06-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Mexican Flan and Assorted Flan Recipes

1 3/4 cups whipping cream
1 cup milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
Pinch of salt
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water

3 large eggs
2 large yolks
7 tablespoons sugar

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F. Combine cream, milk and salt in heavy medium saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into cream mixture; add bean. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and let steep 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water in another heavy medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and cook without stirring until syrup turns deep amber, brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally, about 10 minutes. Quickly pour caramel into six 3/4-cup ramekins or custard cups. Using oven mitts as aid, immediately tilt each ramekin to coat sides. Set ramekins into 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

Whisk eggs, egg yolks and 7 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl just until blended. Gradually and gently whisk cream mixture into egg mixture without creating lots of foam. Pour custard through small sieve into prepared ramekins, dividing evenly (mixture will fill ramekins). Pour enough hot water into baking pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.

Bake until centers of flans are gently set, about 40 minutes. Transfer flans to rack and cool. Chill until cold, about 2 hours. Cover and chill overnight. (Can be made 2 days ahead.)

To serve, run small sharp knife around flan to loosen. Turn over onto plate. Shake gently to release flan. Carefully lift off ramekin allowing caramel syrup to run over flan. Repeat with remaining flans and serve.

Serves 6.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
Executive Chef

YUM YUM YUM! Looks "flan-tastic." Thank you for posting the recipe. Somewhere I recall seeing a recipe for chocolate flan. Decisions, decisions. Solution: Make both . The yin and yang? of it all.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Here comes da chocolate

Haven't tried it yet, but see whatcha think, elf.

Mexican Chocolate Flan

by Teresa Johnson

Cool, smooth and not too sweet, this custard dessert is even more elegant with grated orange zest sprinkled on top.

4 ounces Mexican chocolate or
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate plus tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
1 cup milk
2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream
3 egg yolks
2 eggs
1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
Hot water

In top of double boiler, melt Mexican chocolate. Cool slightly.

In 3-quart pot, combine 1/3 cup sugar, milk and heavy cream. Warm over medium heat. Stir in chocolate. (Add cinnamon now if using unsweetened chocolate.) Stir until sugar is melted and chocolate is evenly distributed. When warm, remove from heat.

In bowl, combine egg yolks and eggs. Gently add to milk mixture, whisking continuously. Add liqueur.

In skillet over medium heat, melt remaining 1 cup sugar to make caramel. As sugar begins to liquefy, keep it moving. Stir so all sugar crystals melt. Cook until sugar is melted and amber colored. Remove from heat. Immediately pour among 6 ramekins, turning them to cover bottom and sides.

Divide milk mixture evenly among ramekins. Place ramekins into baking dish. Add hot water halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes, or until set. Cool to room temperature. Cover each ramekin with plastic wrap. Chill for 3 hours.

To serve, run knife around edge of ramekin. Invert plate on top of ramekin and flip. (Caramel will flow over and down side of flan. Serves 6
Old 06-29-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
Everymom

I don't know about kitchenelf, but I am copying this one mish.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I don't know about kitchenelf, but I am copying this one mish.
This looks soooo good to me too, Alix. For me the orange liquer is Not optional. It's a gotta have it.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #6
Everymom

Grand Marnier right? Don't want to mess that up.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Good question, Alix. I don't know. Maybe someone will have the "orange" answer? btw, grand marnier always works for me
Old 06-29-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
GREAT recipe mish!!! Yes, I am copying it too!

mmmmm..... Grand Marnier is orange but so is Triple Sec. So I would imagine for the amount it calls for if you had one or the other either would work. Grand Marnier "feels" like it would be more the right one though if that makes any sense! lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
Everymom

Yep it does. Should it scare me that I understood that?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:17 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Grand Marnier right? Don't want to mess that up.

Right! or Cointreau or Triple Sec, or Curacao.

Tags
None

« Perfect Flan | Flan »