"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 07-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
After you purchase an Anova Sous Vide....
Guilty as charged. I confess that I dropped $169 on an Anova Sous Vide circulator.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by outRIAAge View Post
Yeah, I saw that, but it's the standard, finicky double-boiler recipe. The one I posted is about ten times easier.
There is a reason double boiler recipes are still around. Because they are reliable and work. And no expensive equipment to purchase.

Tags
lemon, recipe

Mom's Lemon Curd vs Sous Vide Lemon Curd [B][CENTER]Mom's Lemon Curd vs Sous Vide Lemon Curd[/CENTER][/B] Mom finally taught me her lemon curd recipe when she was 90. We stood side-by-side at the stove, each stirring our double-boiler frantically. I watched her every move, but it was really frustrating, because she measured [B]nothing[/B]. "Start with four ounces of sugar." I went to get my fancy digital scale, but she pooh-pooed me, grabbed an enormous British tablespoon, and dumped four scoops into her bowl. I howled at the imprecision of it all, and asked her to measure out four scoops into my bowl. When she was done, the scale read 4.0 ounces. I buttoned my lip. The rest was also purely winging it, but exactly the same amounts of every ingredient went into our double-boilers. Hers turned out markedly better, goshdurn it. (This was back when she was still working. She was a nurse, and described her job as "taking care of old people.") But lemon curd (and all the other curds you can imagine, like try tracking down actual Seville oranges - the bitter type beloved by marmalade-makers) is trivial via [I]sous vide[/I]. Here's [URL="http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-lemon-curd"]the Anova recipe[/URL], which involves putting ingredients in a bag, giving them a squish, bathing them, and when they are finished, giving them another squish. It's as good as my Mom's. From there, it's trivial to stiffen up the recipe a little for making of (say) Napoleons, though I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that: [CENTER][IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4uGNrWCxt7k/TXRCjbUqEVI/AAAAAAAAAEo/kV2I-pBPl4s/s320/100_0493.JPG[/IMG][/CENTER] RIP Mom: she lasted to age 98, living alone until the end. 3 stars 1 reviews