Mom's Lemon Curd vs Sous Vide Lemon Curd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

outRIAAge

Washing Up
Mom's Lemon Curd vs Sous Vide Lemon Curd​

Mom finally taught me her lemon curd recipe when she was 90. We stood side-by-side at the stove, each stirring our double-boiler frantically. I watched her every move, but it was really frustrating, because she measured nothing.

"Start with four ounces of sugar." I went to get my fancy digital scale, but she pooh-pooed me, grabbed an enormous British tablespoon, and dumped four scoops into her bowl. I howled at the imprecision of it all, and asked her to measure out four scoops into my bowl. When she was done, the scale read 4.0 ounces. I buttoned my lip.

The rest was also purely winging it, but exactly the same amounts of every ingredient went into our double-boilers. Hers turned out markedly better, goshdurn it. (This was back when she was still working. She was a nurse, and described her job as "taking care of old people.")

But lemon curd (and all the other curds you can imagine, like try tracking down actual Seville oranges - the bitter type beloved by marmalade-makers) is trivial via sous vide. Here's the Anova recipe, which involves putting ingredients in a bag, giving them a squish, bathing them, and when they are finished, giving them another squish. It's as good as my Mom's.

From there, it's trivial to stiffen up the recipe a little for making of (say) Napoleons, though I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that:

100_0493.JPG

RIP Mom: she lasted to age 98, living alone until the end.

Your sous vide recipe is flawed.

It calls for the juice of 4 lemons.

I can guarantee the juice of my Meyer lemons contains much more juice than that of a common lemon. All lemons are not created equal.

I,I,me,me, do you ever get over yourself?:ermm:

Before posting, I searched to see if anyone had posted a lemon curd recipe. I found the one you mentioned, and I also found that it used the standard, finicky double-boiler method, so I posted the trivially-easy recipe that came with my circulator.

I do not understand why you equate that with failing to get over myself, and I ask you to refrain from posting purely hostile comments on an otherwise civil forum.

Your sous vide recipe is flawed.

It calls for the juice of 4 lemons.

You are correct! I obviously wrote it down wrong. The three lemons I used were particularly juicy, and the recipe worked, but I agree that giving the lemon juice by volume instead of lemon-count would be clearer.

You are correct! I obviously wrote it down wrong. The three lemons I used were particularly juicy, and the recipe worked, but I agree that giving the lemon juice by volume instead of lemon-count would be clearer.

Actually, in fairness to you, the recipe in the link you left Sous Vide Lemon Curd
wasn't yours, but from a professional. One would think that she should be aware lemon juice should be listed by volume. :rolleyes:

And by the way, I enjoyed the story with your Mom. I miss mine every day too.

Last edited:
...she was still working. She was a nurse, and described her job as "taking care of old people."...

...RIP Mom: she lasted to age 98, living alone until the end.
I'm not one to make (or use) lemon curd on a regular basis, but I must say I would have loved to have had your Mom as a friend. She must have been, in the words of my Mom, quite a pip.

Yeah, I saw that, but it's the standard, finicky double-boiler recipe. The one I posted is about ten times easier.

There is a reason double boiler recipes are still around. Because they are reliable and work. And no expensive equipment to purchase. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom