"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Duh - LOL............

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I found this little booklet 5" X 71/2", 63 pages at a garage sale a couple of years ago. The front cover is missing and there's no date on the 1st page. but that page has "Table of measures" and lists various oz.s and weights used today. Under that though it has "Oven Temperatures", and states, " slow oven requires 1 burner halfway on. moderate oven requires 2 burners halfway on. hot oven requires 2 burners on full. If the oven is equiped with a heat control, follow directions given by the manufacturer."
I love seeing that.
One of the catagories in Table of Contents is "Invalid Cookery"
and some of the recipes are "Rice Gruel", Rice Water", "Albumen Beverages", "Irish Moss Lemonage", "Mutton Broth".
Then there's the catagory "The Lunch Box" and those are like whole meals.
The title is "The Metropolitan Life Cook Book" (they seperated the word cookbook)
It's was common back '30's, 40's, 50's, to have companies put these out and today they are treasures. I'd love to have more.
My grandmother's recipes, which look like scraps of paper are too kryptic to figures out; "use the whole thing", "add special blend".
What the heck does that mean?
Those recipes are lost forever. Like her saurbraten. Never had it like her's since.

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
Head Chef
When I first joined DC I erged all members to write down , watch, ask questions from their elder relitives so they could have family cook books so that when aunt jenny passed away I wish I had her recipe for cream cake won't be lost forever. My mother was a fantastic cook and baker and I have a great deal of her recipe,s and still fix a lot of them
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Many years ago, when my step-father's mom passed away, the family gave me her cookbooks and notebooks, as I was the only one really interested in cooking. I've gone through most of the hand-written notebooks, and saved the ones that I thought were interesting, but most of them were types of fast, throw-together foods that I don't normally cook. I also got a cookbook, titled "The Household Searchlight", and copyrighted 1931, second printing 1938. There was a newspaper clipping of recipe, and on the back side, was an artists drawing of what the "new" B-29 should look like shooting down Japanese Zero fighter. Talk about old!
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #15
Don't you just love finding a little piece of history like that? I do.

I made a few things out of this cookbook recently. I consider it a challenge when you read the recipe and there is no method, or one ingredient is left out. I just made a butter cake as the base for my daughters Boston Banana Cream Cake and holy cow it was good. Dense, moist, but not overpowering in flavour at all. Perfect. I've marked THAT page for future use.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #16
Senior Cook
Wow, what a great find! Very special. I have this funny old cookbook called How To Please Your Husband that I got for my wedding a million years ago. Some of those recipes are an interesting read.

Nancy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote