My "work-around" for cannoli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
I love cannolis! Really love them. I can no longer buy any that taste as good as the ones I used to buy at an Italian bakery long ago----and I've tried many.

The big hang-up for me is the shells. You can buy the shells in a good grocery store but too often one or more will be broken and they're not inexpensive. I guess I could return them but I don't because there's no proof that I didn't break them.

So, my work around---- using a simple filling for them:
1 (32 ounce) container ricotta cheese (full fat)
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup chopped candied citron
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (I use Nestle Choc. chips)

---- which I vary at times for sweetness. Sometimes I drain the ricotta, sometimes I don't.

Then instead of stuffing/piping them into a shell I buy some Pirourettes

0001410008784_180X180.jpg

I put the filling into something like a wine glass then stuff Pirouettes around the outside with about half of each P. above the filling.

It makes a pretty dessert and I don't have to fuss with shells and the Pirourettes give it a taste and crunch similar to cannolis.

Of course, I'd rather have a REAL cannoli but just cannot find a bakery that makes them right, to my taste that is. :yum: And I'll be darned if I'll make the shells myself!

Just like you can't have A Panini, you can't have A cannoli. Panini and cannoli are plural. Singular is panino and cannolo, respectively, unless you are Sicilian, which I am. Then it's connolu.

Justy sayin'.

Also, while I am "just sayin", melanzana is Italian for eggplant. The Sicilian word, which you never hear any more except as a derogatory term, is mulignan (pronounced mol-en-yon).

Last edited:
Just like you can't have A Panini, you can't have A cannoli. Panini and cannoli are plural. Singular is panino and cannolo, respectively, unless you are Sicilian, which I am. Then it's connolu.

Justy sayin'.

Also, while I am "just sayin", melanzana is Italian for eggplant. The Sicilian word, which you never hear any more except as a derogatory term, is mulignan (pronounced mol-en-yon).

Thank you for your Italian lesson. :) I got the go-ahead to use cannoli as I did from Wiktionary:

"Usage notes[edit]
Those with a good knowledge of the Italian language may use singular cannolo and plural cannoli, but English speakers without this experience will generally use "a cannoli"/"two cannolis".

Other than that, Mr. Lincoln, how did you like the recipe? :LOL:

I like the recipe, but I can never leave well enough alone. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I would whip a cup of heavy cream and fold it into the ricotta mixture to lighten it. :pig:

Adding whipped cream would really be a great addition, I think. I'll try that. Whipped cream? What's not to like?

I used to use lady fingers as the crust of a Key Lime Pie.

So now we have a new dessert in the making------ the ricotta cannoli mixture made with whipped cream with lady fingers around the outside of a large clear wine glass!

images

What can we name it?

Well, you could call it The Cave-In Cannoli. And in this instance "Cannoli" would be correct as you won't be making just one. One would be caving into it. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom