"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 04-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
Master Chef

Need advice on removing cheesecake from springform pans

on how to remove a cheese cake from my springform pan without destroying it; to give as gifts.
TIA
msm

Old 04-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Master Chef

LOL - I'm guessing the bottom of your pan has a lip around it, and the bottom is slightly recessed, that is causing you problems? Turn the bottom upside-down when you assemble your pan and line it with parchment paper. This way you can slide it off without having to figure out how to pry it up over that "lip".

Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
LOL - I'm guessing the bottom of your pan has a lip around it, and the bottom is slightly recessed, that is causing you problems? Turn the bottom upside-down when you assemble your pan and line it with parchment paper. This way you can slide it off without having to figure out how to pry it up over that "lip".
you know i yes it is but i have tried that and the parchment gets soggy and tears. i don't make the traditional graham cracker lead sinker bottom. i just grease and dust the bottom and sides of the pan with graham crumbs so i think thats why i have problems. where can i get those cardboard "rounds" that the store bought cheese cakes come on. maybe if i can get 9 in rounds they will work in my pan. i have gone to a resturant supply store and they don't sell them.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
btw thank you for your reply.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Master Chef

Well, for those 9-inch cardboard rounds - try a bakery that makes cakes, or the bakery in your grocery store if they bake cakes there. That is where I have gotten them in the past.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
Head Chef

Try using waxed paper, and a few more crumbs on the bottom. Using a long metal spatula is helpful as well.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
Head Chef

BTW, I have only used the cardboard rounds for finished cake, not baking.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
Master Chef

yes they are usually used to frost finished cakes. people like my cheese cake because i don't go heavy on the crumbs. i have tried waxed also.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Well, for those 9-inch cardboard rounds - try a bakery that makes cakes, or the bakery in your grocery store if they bake cakes there. That is where I have gotten them in the past.
thank you but as wyo said they are usaully used for finished cakes. they may get soggy also.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Allow the cake to cool completely!! Remove the spring form....Invert onto a plate or 9 in round...Apply a wee bit of heat to the bottom of the pan...Torch for a few seconds...remove pan bottom...invert to a 9 in. round.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None