Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
A friend of ours passed away this morning and I am looking for an idea for a dessert item to send to his family. I was thinking along the lines of cookies or cupcakes or muffins.

Does anyone have TNT idea that I can use?

Many thanks,
Lyndalou

I think a lot has to do with the situation. Folks who just lost a family member don't think about food. If they are close friends I would fix something to slip in the refrigerator for later and take cookies. You can do a lot of different things with a chocolate chip recipe. If the family is Jewish do take candies or fresh fruits.

I am sorry for your loss of a friend.

When Mom died, the cookies my friend sent went first. She told me cookies are easy. Pie or cake is a commitment that is too much during mourning. She was right. Any kind of finger food that can be set out for the family to graze is good. Then they don't have to worry about cooking, heating, getting out plates and utensils.

I'm sorry to hear that. As for something to send, anything that can be easily put away or stored would be a good consideration. The last thing on any bereaving person's mind is cleanup, but they know they have to do it and it's a considerate thing to do to be something easy, possibly even in a disposable dish so they don't have to worry about sending it back.

i would take or send cupcakes. they have their own bowl, which is simply thrown away. they are not a big deal to eat. less frosting might be in order , so not quite as messy. they are easily covered with foil to keep fresh. no knifes, forks, spoons involved. i would frost with white or silver frosting. garish colors might be out of place.

Banana bread or muffins, finger sandwiches, simple sugar cookies,even a platter of deviled eggs, something to tempt the appetite.You can also sneak a meat loaf and scalloped potatoes into the refrigerator or a ham all sliced and ready to go..The last thing I wanted to do was plan a meal when my mom died.. After the service everyone came here so platters of sandwich fixings, salads, rolls, cup cakes, cookies all were most welcome.If you know them well and are close, help keep thins filled, make coffee and tea, little chores that often slip the mind when your hurting.
kadesma

Last edited:
lyndalou - I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. I like the idea of banana bread or muffins because they can easily be eaten for breakfast too.

Make sure everyone is drinking plenty of water. Grief dehydrates your body, really. I second the cookies/muffins/cupcakes, etc... finger/grazing food. Maybe a plate of meats and cheeses, proteins.

I don't know about the rest of the world but if I have a choice, I will grab a cookie or donut in the morning with my coffee before I would a muffin.

Thank you all for such great ideas and the messages of condolences. Our friend was a great guy and will be missed a lot.

Thanks again, everyone.

Lyndalou

Back
Top Bottom