"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 10-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't know.

Don't forget to reduce the volume measure for the sugar if you use superfine.

If you have a kithcen scale, weigh 1 1/2 cups of regular sugar then use the same weight of superfine.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't know.

Don't forget to reduce the volume measure for the sugar if you use superfine.

If you have a kithcen scale, weigh 1 1/2 cups of regular sugar then use the same weight of superfine.

thanks i do have a scale and i will do just that.... thanks so much for the tips!

Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

You're welcome.

Don't forget to report back with pictures.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Don't know if this'll help you but this recipe has been well received:
Mock Tiramisu/Parfaits

Can be made one day ahead

I cup cold strong brewed coffee/espresso
3Tbsp. Marsala wine

1-8 oz. Block cream cheese softened
½ c (4 oz.) cream cheese, softened
¾ c sugar
30 Ladyfingers
1 tsp. Unsweetened cocoa
Combine coffee and wine; set aside
Place cheese in a med. bowl; beat at med. speed until smooth. Grad. Add sugar; beating until well blended.
Cut each ladyfinger crosswise into 3 pcs. Arrange in wine glasses or small bowls. Drizzle each serving with about 1 Tbsp. Coffee mixture…..or, dip ladyfingers into mixture quickly. Spoon about 1 ½ Tbsp. Cheese mixture into each glass. Repeat layers once; sprinkle evenly with cocoa. Cover and chill at least 1 hour…..Yield: 9 servings or, 1 trifle.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:17 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella/TO View Post
Don't know if this'll help you but this recipe has been well received:
Mock Tiramisu/Parfaits

Can be made one day ahead

I cup cold strong brewed coffee/espresso
3Tbsp. Marsala wine

1-8 oz. Block cream cheese softened
½ c (4 oz.) cream cheese, softened
¾ c sugar
30 Ladyfingers
1 tsp. Unsweetened cocoa
Combine coffee and wine; set aside
Place cheese in a med. bowl; beat at med. speed until smooth. Grad. Add sugar; beating until well blended.
Cut each ladyfinger crosswise into 3 pcs. Arrange in wine glasses or small bowls. Drizzle each serving with about 1 Tbsp. Coffee mixture…..or, dip ladyfingers into mixture quickly. Spoon about 1 ½ Tbsp. Cheese mixture into each glass. Repeat layers once; sprinkle evenly with cocoa. Cover and chill at least 1 hour…..Yield: 9 servings or, 1 trifle.
thanks for the recipe... if my second attempt doesnt work out i may go with this one!
Old 10-27-2007, 12:41 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I admit I'm having trouble seeing what's wrong with your recipe. The procedure being described is no different than your standard genoise, and when you taste that batter, there is no graininess, even though you're doing pretty much the same thing: heating eggs and granulated sugar in a double-boiler and then whipping. I wouldn't bother switching to superfine sugar; the type of sugar is clearly not causing this problem.

If I were you, I'd honestly just avoid Culinary Institute of America recipes altogether. My experience with them has been that simple recipes inexplicably fail in weird ways, and you're just left scratching your head wondering why things went kerplooyee.

It's a problem I have only experienced with CIOA recipes, both in their Professional volume "Baking and Pastry" and their home volume "Baking at Home". It's a problem I haven't had with other comparable books, like Bo Friberg's excellent "Professional Pastry Chef".

Do what I have done and just don't use any of their recipes. It certainly helped lower my blood pressure :)
Old 10-27-2007, 03:16 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr View Post
I admit I'm having trouble seeing what's wrong with your recipe. The procedure being described is no different than your standard genoise, and when you taste that batter, there is no graininess, even though you're doing pretty much the same thing: heating eggs and granulated sugar in a double-boiler and then whipping. I wouldn't bother switching to superfine sugar; the type of sugar is clearly not causing this problem.

If I were you, I'd honestly just avoid Culinary Institute of America recipes altogether. My experience with them has been that simple recipes inexplicably fail in weird ways, and you're just left scratching your head wondering why things went kerplooyee.

It's a problem I have only experienced with CIOA recipes, both in their Professional volume "Baking and Pastry" and their home volume "Baking at Home". It's a problem I haven't had with other comparable books, like Bo Friberg's excellent "Professional Pastry Chef".

Do what I have done and just don't use any of their recipes. It certainly helped lower my blood pressure :)
with andy M's suggestions i was able to score on the second attempt... i went twice as long on the double boiler and made sure the egg didnt cook during the process and it came out fantastic... not grainy at all...

thanks for the input... id like to blame the recipe, but this time it was just user error

Old 10-27-2007, 09:34 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Well whaddya know.

Looks great.

I'd still like to blame the recipe though. If they had bothered to give you an actual temperature to shoot for, you wouldn't have had any problem in the first place.

ACI is still on my black list.

Tags
None