Need your help - what would you call this pastry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inxu

Assistant Cook
Hello you all English speakers:rolleyes:

I am from Estonia and hoping to get a bit of your help. I am trying to find a good English term for the following pastry:
It is a small (for one person) round "open-face" pastry made from yeast dough, filled with curd/cottage cheese or semolina mixture. The attached picture should give you a hint of what it looks like.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• kohupiimakorp.GIF
    kohupiimakorp.GIF
    32.5 KB · Views: 210
Interesting. I thought Cheese Danish was made with cream cheese? It's what I get from a Chicago bakery. What I am learning is different parts of thecountry make the same name food in many different ways.

It is a cheese danish. and a very nice looking one too I might add! They can be made with cottage cheese, cream cheese or even ricotta, usually in a pastry cream custard.

I think if the pastry is made with butter as the fat, and is a flaky pastry, then indeed, I aggree that it is a filled Danish pastry. If it is not very buttery, and is more cake-like, then I would call it a yeast-raised filled doughnut or a filled beignet. But whatever you want to call it, I agree that it looks wonderful.:rolleyes:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

In English -- and perhaps other languages as well -- just about anything that looks like that is called a Danish Pastry.

The particular type depends on the filling. Based on your description, I think this would be either a Cheese Danish or a Custard Danish.

Whatever it's called, it looks delicious!

This is just like bun with cream in between...is not having a look of pastry

What is it?

In my neck of the woods it might be called a Bavarian Cream pastry or a cheeese (cream) danish. It would depend upon the pastry and the contents. My filling recipes are very similar in flavor but not in texture. The good news is i can put either in puff pastry.

Decadent is really the only name. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom